• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tulsa now a Thursday Game

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

29 minutes ago, Brad said:

I don't know how we could turn down a TV game when we are struggling for relevance in a conference struggling for relevance.  

While the world will see the lack of enthusiasm by the Tampa locals, it gives Quinton and the boys some time to showcase.  Players like TV, fans like TV.  Hopefully USF uses the 4 months ahead of them to figure out how to make this the must see team in town.

I think I remember reading that Louisville took all these off Saturday games they could when they were trying to build up their rep ...

Also, OT a bit, just noticed that our Friday home game with Illinois is followed 2 days later by the Bears hitting RayJay. Don't know how the Illini fan base normally travels but this would be a no brainer trip to fans of both.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Just now, Triple B said:

I think I remember reading that Louisville took all these off Saturday games they could when they were trying to build up their rep ...

They did.  In fact, I was going to reference their upset of FSU which I believe was a rainy Thursday  night....then I realized they were playing a good, OOC opponent and we're playing Tulane or Tulsa... :)

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, Brad said:

They did.  In fact, I was going to reference their upset of FSU which I believe was a rainy Thursday  night....then I realized they were playing a good, OOC opponent and we're playing Tulane or Tulsa... :)

So you need a few weekday games AND good opponents? Apparently, we only read the first page of the memo.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

The more exposure is negated for the most part since the NFL started playing on Thursdays. The casual football fan will watch the NFL over college more times than not. It also hurts ratings because the college football Thursday night games start at what 4:30 on the west coast; meaning half the game is over by the time the west coast audience is home from work. 

On Sept. 21 we are going up vs the Rams and Niners so may get a draw there; on Nov. 16 we are going up against Tennessee and Pit so losing viewers in that one. 

Edited by 206BULL

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Good opponents help. :)

Got some coming up in the next few years.  None this year.  This year is all about beating up the AAC, which I fear there is no real appetite for outside of the conference.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,336
  • Days Won:  43

USF had better have over 50k in stands for this one. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

5 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

USF had better have over 50k in stands for this one. 

Better?  Is that like, "demanding excellence"

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Don't discount the number of fans that will attend based on Vinik's new marketing approach.  I know some don't believe it, but there are a portion of people who attend games for the atmosphere.  I'm curious to see the bump.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

33 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

Don't discount the number of fans that will attend based on Vinik's new marketing approach.  I know some don't believe it, but there are a portion of people who attend games for the atmosphere.  I'm curious to see the bump.

That's worth about 19,000 right there. Didn't we come to the conclusion the Lightning sucked this year, play a boring sport, and if it weren't for marketing, the arena would have been empty?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

16 minutes ago, JTrue said:

That's worth about 19,000 right there. Didn't we come to the conclusion the Lightning sucked this year, play a boring sport, and if it weren't for marketing, the arena would have been empty?

You forgot about the 3 hours of free AC to get out of the Florida heat...