• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Running back Darius Tice gets second chance

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

Running back Darius Tice gets second chance

By Josh Fiallo, Asst. Sports Editor
On April 19, 2017

image.jpg

ORACLE FILE PHOTO/JACKIE BENITEZ

Last September, Darius Tice’s collegiate career appeared to be all but over.

With USF trailing 45-14 in the third quarter against FSU on September 24, 2016, Tice went to ground to receive a low pass from Quinton Flowers.

In his slide to catch the ball, Tice’s right leg got caught under his body, causing his 210 pounds of body weight to force down on his ankle, fracturing it, and ending Tice’s season.

The senior running back worried if he would ever be able to suit up for USF again.

“I was afraid,” he said. “I didn’t want my college career to end like that. I didn’t really know what was even going to happen at that point. I was laying down on the bed thinking, ‘Dang, this is for real.’”

In the four games Tice played in 2016, the 5-foot-10 power back scored two touchdowns, and rushed for 223 yards on 32 touches, putting him on pace to have his best season as a Bull.

It wasn’t until the next week at practice that Tice was told he could possibly receive a medical redshirt – a waiver that would give him another year of eligibility to play football for USF, if granted.

Tice immediately applied, then played the waiting game.

“I just put it in God’s hands, and told myself I’ll be fine,” Tice said. “I took the mindset of ‘everything will be alright,’ instead of a negative one, and I just kept praying.”

Tice recalled asking athletic trainers Steve Walz and Yuriy Chulskiy every day for weeks if he had qualified for the redshirt yet, finding no luck each time.

Rest of story