• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Multimedia Rights sold... Interesting read.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, Bausfkid said:

At the end of the day I commend Mr. Harlan and USF Athletics for this partnership.  They recognized their marketing efforts were poor and their results validate this. 

The Lightning games are FUN and there is never a dull moment.  In our instant gratification, I want constant entertainment world this is a great marriage.  Look for high intensity during games when there is any downtime with football and hoops as just part of the puzzle to getting butts in seats.  The Lightning were an also-ran this year and their attendance was very solid, partly based on entertainment. 

The "sizzle" will be created.

Go Bulls!

I'm not sure you're entirely clear on what the term "also-ran" means.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

38 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I'm not sure you're entirely clear on what the term "also-ran" means.

It comes from horse racing to describe horses that did not come in the money.  I guess if you applied that to not making the playoffs then the Lightning were an "also-ran" this year.

8 minutes ago, Polkcountybull said:

It comes from horse racing to describe horses that did not come in the money.  I guess if you applied that to not making the playoffs then the Lightning were an "also-ran" this year.

In terms a of context, I don't think either of us believe he meant to use the phrase to emphasize the point that Lightning attendance was solid this year despite them just barely missing the playoffs on the last weekend of the season.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

43 minutes ago, JTrue said:

In terms a of context, I don't think either of us believe he meant to use the phrase to emphasize the point that Lightning attendance was solid this year despite them just barely missing the playoffs on the last weekend of the season.

Also ran: When half the teams in a league make the playoffs and your team does not.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

I have a pretty good idea of what I'm thinking.  The Lightning were an "also-ran" this year. 

For ****'s sake... are the two of you really trying to argue that the reason the Lightning sold out the entire season was because of marketing and not because they were playing good hockey and were in the playoff picture for 81/82 games?

I'm telling you that I could care less about hockey and was in town this year for two Lightning games.  Had a blast at both.  The atmosphere was outstanding.  Even driving up to the arena was a great experience.  I've been blessed to attend many sporting events in this country and arguably the Lightning's game day experience is in the top 3 or 4 and made me, a non-hockey fan, want to come back. 

Fighting for the playoffs, I mean 8th place in the conference, should not make people turnout.  They were not a good hockey team this year. The game day experience at the Lightning is far beyond USF football or hoops. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

I'm telling you that I could care less about hockey and was in town this year for two Lightning games.  Had a blast at both.  The atmosphere was outstanding.  Even driving up to the arena was a great experience.  I've been blessed to attend many sporting events in this country and arguably the Lightning's game day experience is in the top 3 or 4 and made me, a non-hockey fan, want to come back. 

Fighting for the playoffs, I mean 8th place in the conference, should not make people turnout.  They were not a good hockey team this year. The game day experience at the Lightning is far beyond USF football or hoops. 

I guess that answers my question. I'm more of the belief that people came out to Lightning games this year because a) they finished 42-30-10 and people like to see teams win b) they did that despite losing their best scorer and perennial all-star c) if they had made the playoffs, there's a chance Stamkos could have returned, which would have been awesome and given them a major boost d) hockey is a really great sport to watch live. You, on the other hand, enjoy flashing lights and loud music and think tens of thousands of people agree with you and showed up 41 times this year for the drive up to the arena, not the game being played inside it.

Now you're getting it, finally.  Don't forget the cool Lightning lights at the ends of the ice and shooting the t-shirts into the crowd.  Love it!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,459
  • Days Won:  422

58 minutes ago, Bausfkid said:

As one who religiously attends all 3, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

I'd bother to debate whether the Lightning was a good hockey team or not but your first sentence pretty much sets the tone for your knowledge on the subject. The fact that you can't comprehend why fans would continue coming out for a team fighting for the final  playoff spot just further solidifies your unqualification to discuss the subject.