• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

Latest Martin Fennelly swipe at USF: Lights, Camera, Crickets - Charlie Strong Adjusts to a Different Fanbase

Oh, and let me just put this right here: Score Martin Fennelly on JournoCheck

:GoBulls:

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

I thought this was a thread for a new adults only site for mute 

Edited by Skingraft

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Hopefully people will take time to actually read the article.  The headline is typical, but the article itself is actually pretty spot on by Fennelly.

I will not knock him for this latest work.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Can someone post the CliffNotes so I don't have to give him a click?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

14 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Hopefully people will take time to actually read the article.  The headline is typical, but the article itself is actually pretty spot on by Fennelly.

Agree completely .... One of Toad's more benign columns on USF and hard to find much fault with it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

14 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

Can someone post the CliffNotes so I don't have to give him a click?

Kind of sums it up

There is still so much out there for USF. The school has never played for a conference championship, much less won one. It is still looking for its first New Year's Day bowl game. And there has never been sustained excellence. That's on the radar. In fact, it's in demand.

"Whatever I need to do, I'll do it," Strong said. "I want our guys to get the recognition. … We don't want to be second fiddle. We don't have to be second fiddle."

We've heard that tune fall on deaf ears before in this fickle, easily distracted sports town. Charlie Strong wants to make USF so good for so long that there will be cameras everywhere, so many that he'll have to shut them out of practice. USF football could use a problem like that.

"You got to win," Strong said. "People follow winners."

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Thanks Trib. From what you've posted I'd have to agree it's fair. Not your usual hack job by Fennelly.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

I thought it was a nice article

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

2 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

I'm glad you posted it, as I wouldn't have read it otherwise.  I was expecting snark, and there really wasn't any.  Some of it hurt a bit, but it wasn't wrong.  And I don't think he went out of his way to poke USF (like he & Tom Jones sometimes do). The crickets title was kinda crappy, after reading attendance is up big (a relative term, I know), but it conveys the point.

I will say that I went to a UT-WVU a few years ago, and it was DEAFENING!  Not only do we not put enough butts in seats, but many are docile, and even get upset at standing & screaming (note:  it was MUCH better last year, likely because that team was so exciting to watch).

It's hard to say last year's team was the best ever (11-2 notwithstanding), given the competition wasn't the toughest ever (though not bad).  So, I hope we can get that buzz back, and the team can play to 13-0 goal, and not have let downs.  I'm really looking forward to this season.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

The swipe was the suggestion that the fanbase = crickets

The article was rather benign, but the title was not. Unlike news articles I believe the columnists choose their titles.

Also, I hate Fennelly's writing style, so it's easy to find fault with him, even when his columns aren't factually misleading.