• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How many more are like this guy

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,328
  • Content Count:  21,279
  • Days Won:  10

Here is a quote from a Joey Knight article posted today.

"I said, 'So you graduated from South Florida but every game I saw you in Gainesville.' ... We won 11 games last year, and some people didn't even know that. But we have got to get that explosion and we have to get everyone on board and everyone involved."

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/new-voice-same-plight-charlie-strong-seeks-local-support/2318929

So, how many more USF graduates do you know that go to Florida games and support Florida?  I know of one family.  They think the swamp and UF atmosphere is more college and they enjoy it more plus they said they like the teams they play. 

Thoughts?

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

I think there is nothing that we as fans can do. We can attend games and ask our family and friends to accompany us. We can root for out school and team. We can wear the apparel and talk the talk. the administration can advertise and arrange functions to entice people to games but, without getting the people on campus. we just don't have a true connection to be passed on there. We must strive to sell the team and create our own game day environment. we are a young school still building a tradition. Lets not forget that first and foremost.

We have yet to build a tradition winning or otherwise. The problem with our attendance is the same problem with our society at present. People want things fast, they want them today, they want them "NOW"! Tradition isn't built in a day, season or ten seasons. Just relax, enjoy the winning and spread the word. If we win 10 or more games this season and next, we'll see the fans return in droves. We just need to relax. We have until 2012 before dominoes really begin to fall.

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, Azmodi said:

I think there is nothing that we as fans can do. We can attend games and ask our family and friends to accompany us. We can root for out school and team. We can wear the apparel and talk the talk. the administration can advertise and arrange functions to entice people to games but, without getting the people on campus. we just don't have a true connection to be passed on there. We must strive to sell the team and create our own game day environment. we are a young school still building a tradition. Lets not forget that first and foremost.

We have yet to build a tradition winning or otherwise. The problem with our attendance is the same problem with our society at present. People want things fast, they want them today, they want them "NOW"! Tradition isn't built in a day, season or ten seasons. Just relax, enjoy the winning and spread the word. If we win 10 or more games this season and next, we'll see the fans return in droves. We just need to relax. We have until 2012 before dominoes really begin to fall.

Agree with everything you said.  I blame TV and ESPN for making games 4 hours long. All about the Benjamins.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

I think the problem is that graduates prior to the late 90s lived in a world without USF football and built allegiances for the "Big 3."  We went 1A in what 2001?  That's a lot of students since then, but the bulk of our alumni went to a USF without Football.  The hope is that hey come back and adopt us back, but realistically they have "their team."  Even the knats had lower level football that helped build a bit of a base for 20-30 years.  

I hate saying it, and it's not an excuse, but it takes time.  Most of our graduates from a USF w/ football are just starting to make money, and a lot are still in their 20s.  

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

8 minutes ago, thatBULL said:

I think the problem is that graduates prior to the late 90s lived in a world without USF football and built allegiances for the "Big 3."  We went 1A in what 2001?  That's a lot of students since then, but the bulk of our alumni went to a USF without Football.  The hope is that hey come back and adopt us back, but realistically they have "their team."  Even the knats had lower level football that helped build a bit of a base for 20-30 years.  

I hate saying it, and it's not an excuse, but it takes time.  Most of our graduates from a USF w/ football are just starting to make money, and a lot are still in their 20s.  

As a 1990 grad, I can agree mostly. I was a Canes (and Noles fan, to a lesser extent) from high school on (a HS player from my hometown played for the Canes in the early '80s, before the were "swag").  

As soon as USF established a football program, I became hopeful & they become my #1 team.  I lived in the Keys at the time, so going to Tampa for games was a challenge.  Once I moved to Palm Beach, I started catching some games. At our first game v the Canes (we lost 27-7 in the Orange Bowl), the Canes fans were so brutal & thuggish that it killed any fandom I had for Miami, permanently.

I try to catch 2-4 games a year (hit 4 + the bowl game last year), and if I was closer, I might catch them all.  But I was able to get a business associate to buy 4 season tickets that I get to use a few times a year...and that they use to drag other clients. So, trying to do my part to get butts in seats.  It's a long road, and having less foes than the 2007 era hurts, but this team is SO MUCH fun to watch (after years of being painful to endure), that I'm a little surprised attendance still stinks.  Maybe OCS will help, but that's a ways off.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

My parents are both USF grads, but both started at FSU and support FSU.  My mom finished her first degree there and my dad had to come home after a year there and commute from Winter Haven most days to USF to finish his undergrad.

They definitely follow the Bulls a little more now because they moved up here closer to me (read: grandkids) but FSU is their first love.  

Its just too bad that USF didn't add football 20-25 years sooner.  These are growing pains, but winning is the best analgesic and will help us build this fan base.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

This is why UF won't play us. They have significant market share in Tampa. We need more head to head games to force grads to choose their allegiances. How do we get them?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

As a guy who works on campus and has since 2013; I'll let you know there's definitely a turn in students' allegiance towards the program. For a few years there, most of the students thought USF football was just bad; now those students are seeing the team is good... really really good. There's a huge drop in "big three" tshirts on campus. Even folks that I've talked to who have been fans of the big here will claim they are bulls fans now. 

Now that could be a very small percentage from what I've seen but this is a pivotal point. If the program can keep consistent and buck the trend of the "G5 team of the year," that's how you can hold these students and fans. I'm still thinking a lot of local gator fans may jump on board now that Strong is HFBC.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

As a guy who works on campus and has since 2013; I'll let you know there's definitely a turn in students' allegiance towards the program. For a few years there, most of the students thought USF football was just bad; now those students are seeing the team is good... really really good. There's a huge drop in "big three" tshirts on campus. Even folks that I've talked to who have been fans of the big here will claim they are bulls fans now. 

Now that could be a very small percentage from what I've seen but this is a pivotal point. If the program can keep consistent and buck the trend of the "G5 team of the year," that's how you can hold these students and fans. I'm still thinking a lot of local gator fans may jump on board now that Strong is HFBC.

That is really awesome to hear. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

20 hours ago, Azmodi said:

That was supposed to be "2022, as the Big 12 contract expires in 2024 and that is when conference realignment will begin again. Oh well. :facepalm:

Edited by Azmodi