• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New voice, same plight: Charlie Strong seeks local support

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

16 minutes ago, charsibb said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't schedule tests, papers, etc to conflict with athletics, unless it's impossible to avoid.

College is about SO much more than just the in-class experience. I encourage my students to join the clubs, go to the games, watch the theater performances, etc

I even took my whole class on a field trip to the WBB and MBB games on Senior Day.

I had an accounting class Fall of '07, was a once a week class on Thursday evenings and my professor wasn't one to cave to sporting events. We had a test during the Rutgers game and I was taking the class Pass/Fail so I could afford to miss a test. Needless to say I skipped the test but still passed the class; wish I would have just shown up and took the test though...

Edited by 206BULL

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I had a professor, I think his name was Harvey Moore, that would encourage us to leave the night class and get to the Sun Dome in time for the hoops game.  Loved that guy.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, charsibb said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I don't schedule tests, papers, etc to conflict with athletics, unless it's impossible to avoid.

College is about SO much more than just the in-class experience. I encourage my students to join the clubs, go to the games, watch the theater performances, etc

I even took my whole class on a field trip to the WBB and MBB games on Senior Day.

Thursday and Friday night games don't help.

Edit: Sorry, 206 dealt with this above but didn't see it on this page.

Edited by Bourbon Bull

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, 206BULL said:

I had an accounting class Fall of '07, was a once a week class on Thursday evenings and my professor wasn't one to cave to sporting events. We had a test during the Rutgers game and I was taking the class Pass/Fail so I could afford to miss a test. Needless to say I skipped the test but still passed the class; wish I would have just shown up and took the test though...

Now we know who to blame the game result on...

:throwup:

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,495
  • Days Won:  10

My wife went to UF during the late 70s/early 80s and the stadium was pretty empty, even though they had open endzones at that time and "name" schools coming in every season.  These were the days before Spurrier and a conference championship and a consistent winning record.

Once they started winning and the expectation was that they would win, the stadium started filling up and they have subsequently needed to expand the stadium at least three times.

Just win.  People want to be part of that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Why worry or comment about attendance in April?

Edited by DELdaBull
Spelling

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

5 hours ago, Ricky the Bull said:

My wife went to UF during the late 70s/early 80s and the stadium was pretty empty, even though they had open endzones at that time and "name" schools coming in every season.  These were the days before Spurrier and a conference championship and a consistent winning record.

Once they started winning and the expectation was that they would win, the stadium started filling up and they have subsequently needed to expand the stadium at least three times.

Just win.  People want to be part of that.

best team in the state in mid 70s was the university of tampa

the big 3 sucked until the african american athletes came of age in the state

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

Why worry or comment about attendance in April?

There is never an off season for attendance talk ...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

With this schedule, I hope they run up the score and talk trash to get press and generate fan interest.