• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Butehorn Completes Staff

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,965
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

WEB LINK: http://bit.ly/2n9WmnP

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: March 27, 2017

Follow @USFAthletics On Twitter

Like USF Athletics on Facebook

Butehorn Completes Staff

TAMPA, March. 27, 2017 – University of South Florida men’s soccer head coach Bob Butehorn’s coaching staff is complete, the program announced Monday. Jeremy Hurdle, Michael Alcaraz and Ryan Thompson have joined the Bulls’ staff.  

“I am very proud of the staff that we have brought together,” said Butehorn. “I believe we assembled the right people for the job and I look forward to a very bright future for our program.”

Hurdle will act as the Bulls’ Director of Soccer of Operations and Alcaraz is the Assistant Director of Operations. Thompson, a former Rowdies goalkeeper, is USF’s new volunteer assistant coach.

Hurdle previously completed his first season as an assistant coach at the University of Pennsylvania. The Quakers finished the 2016 season with a record of 5-5-6, a 3-3-1 mark in the Ivy League. Hurdle was named one of 30 coaches nationwide to the National Soccer Coaches Association of America’s “NSCAA 30 Under 30” program which provides year-long mentorship and educational opportunities to up-and-coming coaches.

As a player, Hurdle was a four-year starter at McGill University. His performance earned him a Canadian Silver Medal in 2009 and the Quebec Silver Medal in 2009 and 2011, as well as a one-time conference all-star recognition. Prior to his time at McGill, Hurdle captained a team for the University of Auckland, New Zealand, and won a championship title at the 2011 NZ University Games. Hurdle graduated from McGill in 2012 with a degree in geography.

Alcarez comes to USF after one season as the head coach for Burbank Unified School District. The former defender graduated from Manhattan College in 2015 as a two-year starter. Prior to transferring to Manhattan, Alcarez was an All-South Coast Conference first team member for Pasadena City College.

Thompson has been a notable goalkeeper coach that has worked with institutions throughout the East Coast including Carlow University and the University of Tampa. A former goalkeeper for the University of Tampa, Thompson was a two-time All-American and led the Spartans to a Division II Final Four appearance. Thompson led the Jamaican Football Federation to two Caribbean Cup Championships in 2005 and 2015, and a Gold Cup silver medal in 2015.

The Butehorn era of USF men’s soccer will begin in August 2017.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

This was really confusing for a while.  Butehorn seemingly was hired a long time ago, so I kept thinking this was basketball.  I was getting really confused why the new basketball coach was filling out his staff with soccer players.

I don't know much about these guys, but I am highly confident in Butehorn.  Can't wait for next season!