• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  39
  • Days Won:  0

In softball, one elite pitcher can get a team a long way.  As long as she has a solid (not even great) team behind her. The Bulls 2012 WCWS team is a perfect example. Nevins was one of the top five pitchers at the championships, solid defense and offense.  The regional in 2012 against Hofstra, a great regional, is another example. Hofstra had one elite pitcher. She pitched almost every inning of the region, they didn't have the offense and she just wore out.  The Bulls could be a top 25 team every year if CKE can recruit some pitching. Get good pitching and the hitters will follow.  Easier said than done. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

As others have said, pitching is huge. My sister played at USF for Eriksen and I worked for the team for 3 years. Those saying that he can't recruit are wrong in my opinion. Also, for us having great facilities, most don't understand that those were 10-years too late.

In the late 90s/early 00s, USF was the go-to softball program in the state along with FSU. It was harder to get to the WCWS at that time, but, Eriksen took his team very close on a couple of occasions in 97/98 I believe. During that time, he had Mo Triner and Jennifer Thompson, a lethal 1-2 punch pitching. My sister was on the 98 team as a freshman, they lost out to a crazy good pitcher in the regionals to keep them from getting to the WCWS. In 2001, Jesse Kowal was the stud pitcher, also, 2 games from the WCWS that year. Kowal graduated that year, the next year was awful, and the following year Leigh Ann Ellis came in and the team was great again.

But, starting in 97ish, UF got a program and out of the gate built a phenomenal stadium. They also had the budget to recruit nation wide. Back then, softball was bigger on the west coast. From day 1, they had great pitching. USF was getting the best of the best locally, but, suddenly it was getting diminished by a few going to UF. Then UCF gets a program with a nice stadium. If you never saw a USF game on the rec fields, you missed out. If you knew what Coach Eriksen did with teams on that awful field, you would understand how good of a coach he really is. All great coaches have personality "quirks" and Ken is not above that, but, if you're looking for a reason that this team isn't "elite", look elsewhere. Look at lack of support when his program was the best thing at USF. Look at the fact that the man worked for years without a guaranteed contract and just kept winning. He turned down good jobs to stay at home. He was promised facilties for years before he had them.

Why is this team not elite today? I already said AAC. Other reasons...

1. Softball has become a rich-kid sport. Parents pour probably 6 figures into their kid's career by the time they are making a college decision. Those same parents don't see USF as prestigious enough for their "investment"

2. We don't have SEC money to spend recruiting.

3. Current rankings, you have to get down to no. 12 before you have a non power conference school (JMU). They are also the only non power-5 in the top 25.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,456
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, Orlando Bull said:

As others have said, pitching is huge. My sister played at USF for Eriksen and I worked for the team for 3 years. Those saying that he can't recruit are wrong in my opinion. Also, for us having great facilities, most don't understand that those were 10-years too late.

In the late 90s/early 00s, USF was the go-to softball program in the state along with FSU. It was harder to get to the WCWS at that time, but, Eriksen took his team very close on a couple of occasions in 97/98 I believe. During that time, he had Mo Triner and Jennifer Thompson, a lethal 1-2 punch pitching. My sister was on the 98 team as a freshman, they lost out to a crazy good pitcher in the regionals to keep them from getting to the WCWS. In 2001, Jesse Kowal was the stud pitcher, also, 2 games from the WCWS that year. Kowal graduated that year, the next year was awful, and the following year Leigh Ann Ellis came in and the team was great again.

But, starting in 97ish, UF got a program and out of the gate built a phenomenal stadium. They also had the budget to recruit nation wide. Back then, softball was bigger on the west coast. From day 1, they had great pitching. USF was getting the best of the best locally, but, suddenly it was getting diminished by a few going to UF. Then UCF gets a program with a nice stadium. If you never saw a USF game on the rec fields, you missed out. If you knew what Coach Eriksen did with teams on that awful field, you would understand how good of a coach he really is. All great coaches have personality "quirks" and Ken is not above that, but, if you're looking for a reason that this team isn't "elite", look elsewhere. Look at lack of support when his program was the best thing at USF. Look at the fact that the man worked for years without a guaranteed contract and just kept winning. He turned down good jobs to stay at home. He was promised facilties for years before he had them.

Why is this team not elite today? I already said AAC. Other reasons...

1. Softball has become a rich-kid sport. Parents pour probably 6 figures into their kid's career by the time they are making a college decision. Those same parents don't see USF as prestigious enough for their "investment"

2. We don't have SEC money to spend recruiting.

3. Current rankings, you have to get down to no. 12 before you have a non power conference school (JMU). They are also the only non power-5 in the top 25.

First, hello, pretty sure I know who you are, it's been a while. 

For all the years on that horrible field, and all that winning, including a trip to the college World Series, as far as I am concerned Ken is in a small group of coaches that is pretty close to the lifetime contract. If I ever look at the standings and see softball is struggling, I never get worried, I know good times are ahead. (Jose and George would have been there too, if he had stayed) 

Ken's teams also excel in the classroom, and if you spend years in staff meetings with him, you would know that what his team does off the field is very important to him. 

By the way, our softball facility is good, but it's not like it is worlds ahead of the competition (it was great when it opened, but now lots of other schools have caught up). If you looked at the facilities of the top 50 in RPI, I bet we are somewhere middle of the pack. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

The team was stellar last year with Erica Nunn pitching, it just didn't come together in the regional. This year hasn't been as consistently good but there are flashes (beating top 5 Michigan.) Getting swept by Tulsa is tough but they're no slouches either, they won the conference tourny last year. I suppose the question posed is how come we're not consistently elite and I'm sure there are many factors to that. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

15 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

First, hello, pretty sure I know who you are, it's been a while. 

For all the years on that horrible field, and all that winning, including a trip to the college World Series, as far as I am concerned Ken is in a small group of coaches that is pretty close to the lifetime contract. If I ever look at the standings and see softball is struggling, I never get worried, I know good times are ahead. (Jose and George would have been there too, if he had stayed) 

Ken's teams also excel in the classroom, and if you spend years in staff meetings with him, you would know that what his team does off the field is very important to him. 

By the way, our softball facility is good, but it's not like it is worlds ahead of the competition (it was great when it opened, but now lots of other schools have caught up). If you looked at the facilities of the top 50 in RPI, I bet we are somewhere middle of the pack. 

Hey Mike, yep, I remember you, we spent a lot of time in the "press box" together at that old field. It has been forever, hard to believe really. I agree with your assessment on Ken, he is a Bull as long as he wants to be by my book.

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

And I don't think its been mentioned, but our best player was kicked off the team.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Thanks for everyone's input.  I guess having the coach of team USA doesn't have the pull that I thought it would.  Clearly, women's softball is foreign to me (I have one son).

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  613
  • Days Won:  2

INJURY AND INJURY AND INJURY AND NO WEBER WILL KILL ANY TEAM