• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mens Basketball Departure

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Brad said:

No, but it doesn't take a genius to make sure he's doing things correctly.  There's no reason to wait 2 years to start paying attention.  We'll be down $2 million plus by then.  

Paying attention to what? What should we be looking for, except obvious scandal type stuff, that he would be accountable for the first year, or even the second?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

That he's recruiting correctly, building relationships with area coaches/players.  That he can coach in game, etc. Pretty easy to see early on Antigua was a flop. This give 'em a free two years is stupid.  

If I hired him, he'd have 90 days to prove he's the right guy.  Call it #realworldproblems. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

5 hours ago, Brad said:

That he's recruiting correctly, building relationships with area coaches/players.  That he can coach in game, etc. Pretty easy to see early on Antigua was a flop. This give 'em a free two years is stupid.  

If I hired him, he'd have 90 days to prove he's the right guy.  Call it #realworldproblems. 

So by mid-June, you'll have a good read on his recruiting ability and coaching abilities? 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

While I didn't say the 90 day evaluation period fit that role, I'll entertain you hyenas. At 90 days, I'd have a good read on his recruiting plans, his outreach, the change in culture, his assisstant hires, his practice plans, his goals for season one.

An AD's hands aren't tied after making a hire. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

9 hours ago, Brad said:

I think a guy should have 3 years (under normal circumstances), you 3 months .... Not sure we'll be finding any common ground on this one.

Edited by Triple B

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

FCCOA < FCRMC and I never thought I would type that anyone could be worse than FCRMC.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 hour ago, Brad said:

While I didn't say the 90 day evaluation period fit that role, I'll entertain you hyenas. At 90 days, I'd have a good read on his recruiting plans, his outreach, the change in culture, his assisstant hires, his practice plans, his goals for season one.

An AD's hands aren't tied after making a hire. 

Actually, an AD's hands are tied by money.  USF does not have unlimited funds.  So we can hire a high school guy that would be happy to sign for little money, or we can hire someone with more experience and or "cachet" that can negotiate for guaranteed money.  

In COA's case, firing him after 90 days without cause would have still paid him millions, would it not?

Edited by Who'sYourData?
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

3 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Actually, an AD's hands are tied by money.  USF does not have unlimited funds.  So we can hire a high school guy that would be happy to sign for little money, or we can hire someone with more experience and or "cachet" that can negotiate for guaranteed money.  

In COA's case, firing him after 90 days without cause would have still paid him millions, would it not?

+1. I was going to say his hands are tied by a contract.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

In speaking with some people at the meet and greet before the press conference, I think that most aren't going to sweat anything until the middle of year 3.  These were fans/donors, not staff.  

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 minute ago, Bourbon Bull said:

In speaking with some people at the meet and greet before the press conference, I think that most aren't going to sweat anything until the middle of year 3.  These were fans/donors, not staff.  

It is certainly possible to gain a better idea sooner from within the program.  Possible that the AD can identify this earlier.  But sports are a funny thing, and certainly for those of us viewing from afar it is difficult to get a read until at least the third year.  Well, barring something catastrophic.  Given our year this year, it will be difficult to be worse next year. So the new guy needs at least to get into year three.