• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Sweep Saturday’s Twin Bill with Harvard

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

Playing so good I need to refresh myself on the MLB draft rules for those great young players that chose USF.  They are sophomores now, it may get very tempting to jump ship over the next year, year and a half....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,671
  • Days Won:  108

4 minutes ago, Brad said:

Playing so good I need to refresh myself on the MLB draft rules for those great young players that chose USF.  They are sophomores now, it may get very tempting to jump ship over the next year, year and a half....

Pretty sure they can't leave until after their Junior year (unless they go to Community Colleges).  If I have this straight they can be drafted out of high school, 2nd year of CCs and 3rd year of 4 year colleges.  

After junior season is typically the mass exodus....

Gotta have a plan...

8 minutes ago, Brad said:

After junior season is typically the mass exodus....

Gotta have a plan...

Didn't I say that?

Did you?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Losing Merrell will hurt after this season.  He's the straw that stirs the drink.  Hoping he stays for his Senior season but he is having such a monster year and I could see him climbing up the draft boards

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I don't see him being a top 15 rounds guy just yet. My gut tells me he stays to get more exposure next year. I could be wrong if keeps the speed and average and hits for a little more power this year. Without the HRs at 2B, you've got to be very special with your other tools to go high enough in the draft to leave early.

10 hours ago, JTrue said:

I don't see him being a top 15 rounds guy just yet. My gut tells me he stays to get more exposure next year. I could be wrong if keeps the speed and average and hits for a little more power this year. Without the HRs at 2B, you've got to be very special with your other tools to go high enough in the draft to leave early.

From speaking with some player's parents in the past, they would prefer to go after junior year because they have a bit of negotiating room.  Once you graduate as a senior you have nothing to hold over their head.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

36 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

From speaking with some player's parents in the past, they would prefer to go after junior year because they have a bit of negotiating room.  Once you graduate as a senior you have nothing to hold over their head.

Absolutely. The problem these days is that MLB has begun assigning "slot" money for picks. Kids don't have the room to negotiate that they had in the past. So if Merrell is a 20th round pick (not outlandish, there were only a dozen or so 2Bs drafted in the first 15 rounds last year, including HS players), he gets 20th round money whether he likes it or not. There is contact before the draft where a kid will just flat out say to his scout, "I need x amount of $ or I'm not signing." If that amount doesn't fit with his round, he's off the board since the team can't overspend to get a kid they drafted later. They have to use the earlier pick to get him. You might love Merrell and think he's worth $500,000 and you'd gladly pay it to sign him, but you love 19 kids more and that makes him a 20th round pick and he gets $5,000 and a bus ticket.

Edited by JTrue