• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our NEW Basketball HC is....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

I'm not sure why one commenter implied USF as being a bad destination. I'm not sure why in MBB other than the money offered and lack of a dedicated fan base it could be considered a bad destination. Certainly the conference can hold its own with any and the Sun Dome is better than average now as well as the climate/beach.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

It's a meh hire but there weren't many guys that would actually come here that would get a reaction much more than that from me. I'm willing to give Gregory at least 3 years to see what happens; he is taking over one of the worst basketball programs in the country and will have a bare cupboard for at least the next year or two. Hope he hits the ground running in recruiting because we need all the players we can get at this point(including some warm bodies as we may not have enough players to field a team next season otherwise). 

Edited by 206BULL

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799
  • Days Won:  0

THe ACC is the toughest conference in Mens basketball. The AAC is not the ACC.  I think coach Gregory could do well here.  I would love to be like Dayton right now. 20 win seasons on the regular. Yes please.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348

28 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I'd call losing by 50 to Duke taking a step back.

He got ACC coach of the year because of a few flashy wins and because they pretty much automatically disqualify Coach K and Roy Williams from consideration.

He has the worst record for a Coach of the Year winner in about a decade.  Coach K and Roy Williams deserved it a lot more than he did, but they aren't even considered.  That last ACC Coach of the Year to win with such a bad record?  Seth Greenberg.  He won it twice for going 9-7 and 8-8 in conference.  

My uncle works at UNC.  ACC Coach of the Year is a charity award because they exclude the top dogs from receiving it.  

They lost four seniors.  All their top players were recruited by Gregory.  The Freshmen were mostly his and just signed by the new guy.  They're losing 6 seniors this year, so we'll see how he does going forward.

How do we know that Gregory would not have done similar with these players he recruited?

So are we going to acknowledge that Gregory laid the foundation and did not leave the cupboard bare?  If he couldn't recruit then there's no way GT would've won much.

Could you please explain to me how Coach K deserved conference coach of the year? That is absolutely laughable. They were pretty much a consensus #1 team in the country coming into the season...and they finished 5th in their conference...

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

My Georgia Tech friends give their condolences.

Sadly, I have to agree

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Terrible hire. Maybe he can get us to 500 at some point and we can replace him with someone who can take us to the next level. 

Have I mentioned how much I am looking toward to football season?.......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Any chance this guy lied on his resume so we can start the search over? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,403
  • Days Won:  5

Stan Heath Lite from the sounds of it.  IF that means we get to the tourney we would all take it.  Not holding my breath though

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

Say what?  His replacement, Josh Pastner is ACC Coach of the Year this year, his first year at Tech.  GT had a couple of huge Top 25 wins over FSU and UNC.  They didn't make the NCAA tourney but they were close.  They're in the NIT as a #6 seed.

I'd say they took a major step forward.  

going from 21-15 (8-10) to 17-15 (8-10) is a step forward?

Brian Gregory is a better coach than Antigua or Bartow...that should make you guys feel a little better.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

38 minutes ago, macphisto said:

I'd call losing by 50 to Duke taking a step back.

LOL   it's ******* Duke.  Really?  The team picked by many to win it all this year? 

39 minutes ago, macphisto said:

He got ACC coach of the year because of a few flashy wins and because they pretty much automatically disqualify Coach K and Roy Williams from consideration.

Coack K and Roy Williams don't get that consideration because they always have top talent.  When you're at that level, all you can do is win or perform below expectations.  The former is expected, the latter is not.  COYs are not born from those scenarios.

41 minutes ago, macphisto said:

My uncle works at UNC.  ACC Coach of the Year is a charity award because they exclude the top dogs from receiving it.  

Your uncle sounds like a Tar Heel homer of the worst sort.  Ask him why he worries about COYs when his team is in the running for NCs year after year.

42 minutes ago, macphisto said:

They lost four seniors.  All their top players were recruited by Gregory.  The Freshmen were mostly his and just signed by the new guy.  They're losing 6 seniors this year, so we'll see how he does going forward.

How do we know that Gregory would not have done similar with these players he recruited?

Let's forget for a moment who GT shares a conference with.  If Gregory can't win with 4 seniors, what makes you think he will win with a bunch of young guys?  And if he has 6 seniors this year (I'm taking your word at this - it sounds like he had a team of all juniors and seniors, which makes the optics of his firing WORSE, imo), at least 5 from the previous year weren't good enough to start as juniors, so I'm not sure that really tells me anything.  

I guess the only hope we have of this working out is that Gregory's coaching abilities go well at our level.  He certainly couldn't hack it with experienced starters in the ACC.  Let's hope he can rebuild the Bulls.