• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our NEW Basketball HC is....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just now, macphisto said:

Who else would we have gotten?

That's a totally different argument. I don't disagree that Gregory is basically the best we can do. The argument that GT "took a step back" without him? I'm not as sold on that one.

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I really don't think retread is the way to go with the condition of our program. It will take a lot of energy, and patience to get this team rolling. Just not sure someone who just spent six years getting smacked around the ACC is the guy to get it done.

Don't think I've ever been this disinterested in a head coaching hire at USF. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

12 minutes ago, JTrue said:

That's a totally different argument. I don't disagree that Gregory is basically the best we can do. The argument that GT "took a step back" without him? I'm not as sold on that one.

I'm not either.  I don't care about the wins/losses.  I think a guy getting ACC Coach of the Year, considering the other programs in the conference, in his first year in the toughest MBB conference in the country, is a pretty big deal.  GT was picked to finish last in conference and they exceeded expectations thoroughly.  

I don't know how you can be labeled as "taking a step back" when you exceed expectations.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

22 minutes ago, theman123 said:

Don't think I've ever been this disinterested in a head coaching hire at USF. 

We just hired a new basketball coach and the most die-hard USF place on the internet has spent his first hour debating the phrase "step-back." That's how excited this move has everyone. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I'm not either.  I don't care about the wins/losses.  I think a guy getting ACC Coach of the Year, considering the other programs in the conference, in his first year in the toughest MBB conference in the country, is a pretty big deal.  GT was picked to finish last in conference and they exceeded expectations thoroughly.  

I don't know how you can be labeled as "taking a step back" when you exceed expectations.

I'd call losing by 50 to Duke taking a step back.

He got ACC coach of the year because of a few flashy wins and because they pretty much automatically disqualify Coach K and Roy Williams from consideration.

He has the worst record for a Coach of the Year winner in about a decade.  Coach K and Roy Williams deserved it a lot more than he did, but they aren't even considered.  That last ACC Coach of the Year to win with such a bad record?  Seth Greenberg.  He won it twice for going 9-7 and 8-8 in conference.  

My uncle works at UNC.  ACC Coach of the Year is a charity award because they exclude the top dogs from receiving it.  

They lost four seniors.  All their top players were recruited by Gregory.  The Freshmen were mostly his and just signed by the new guy.  They're losing 6 seniors this year, so we'll see how he does going forward.

How do we know that Gregory would not have done similar with these players he recruited?

So are we going to acknowledge that Gregory laid the foundation and did not leave the cupboard bare?  If he couldn't recruit then there's no way GT would've won much.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Are we sure this guy has a degree?

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  553
  • Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Pretty much universally put down as a "lazy, poor, cheap, bad, unfortunate, short sighted, etc." hire on Twitter. 

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Ugh

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, slick1ru2 said:

Pretty much universally put down as a "lazy, poor, cheap, bad, unfortunate, short sighted, etc." hire on Twitter. 

Sounds like a perfect match for usf basketball 

• Upvote 3