• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our NEW Basketball HC is....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

9 hours ago, Vega said:

He said all the things you would expect a new head coach to say in an introduction news conference. What I will say is I HOPE Coach Gregory has learned much in his short time between jobs after being fired from GT. Poor bench coaching and even worse recruiting was his rep and rightfully so at GT. The recruiting part was very disappointing considering the school's location and brand new facilities built while he was there. That is alarming considering USF suppose to be a harder job to recruit to and with the sate of the program being what it is, recruiting has to be the top priority.

Having said all that I do HOPE Coach Gregory can build USF into a top level AAC program in a few seasons because he is the HC and needs all our support and patience. I won't be calling for his firing anytime soon if things start off a little slow.

I have no idea about his bench coaching abilities.  Pretty sure all the players on the GT team that is still alive in the NIT Final Four are his http://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/nit_mens_2017.pdf  including the Fr.  At least that is what he told us before the presser yesterday.  And an interesting thing I heard, not from him, is that the AD that fired him at GT was a Xavier guy who was at Xavier while he was at Dayton.  

Edited by Bourbon Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

12 hours ago, Vega said:

He said all the things you would expect a new head coach to say in an introduction news conference. What I will say is I HOPE Coach Gregory has learned much in his short time between jobs after being fired from GT. Poor bench coaching and even worse recruiting was his rep and rightfully so at GT. The recruiting part was very disappointing considering the school's location and brand new facilities built while he was there. That is alarming considering USF suppose to be a harder job to recruit to and with the sate of the program being what it is, recruiting has to be the top priority.

Having said all that I do HOPE Coach Gregory can build USF into a top level AAC program in a few seasons because he is the HC and needs all our support and patience. I won't be calling for his firing anytime soon if things start off a little slow.

Did you miss the part where he kept them around .500 starting in year two despite being hamstrung by sanctions right after he was hired? http://learn.uvm.edu/wordpress_3_4b/wp-content/uploads/Georgia-Tech-public-report.pdf

Those sanctions exist partially up until today (yes, it's 2017 and the sanctions aren't fully removed). I get it, you're a great basketball mind, but there were extenuating circumstances that kept Gregory from recruiting to the level he could have. Add in that he was in the ACC and that isn't the easiest conference to recruit in. He recruited and coached just fine at Dayton when he had no such restrictions. 

Thank you for continuing to support USF. I don't expect ANYTHING next year. If they win 10 games, I will be ecstatic. If they go .500 in year 2 or 3, I will  be cheering. This is a shame seeing how close we were to finally breaking through four years ago. 

That said, he has his work cut out for him. Either gregory is truly desperate to be a head coach, or he believes so highly in himself that he thinks he can resuscitate a moribund basketball program that has never been beyond the Round of 32. Either way, all power to him. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

5 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

Because we have such a long history of winning 

The team has been good in the past. There is no reason for the current state of the program.