• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Five Run Sixth Helps Bulls Extend Win Streak

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,982
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Web Link: bit.ly/2mOfPgk

Five Run Sixth Helps Bulls Extend Win Streak

USF scored five runs in the sixth inning, while the arms allowed two hits

TAMPA, MARCH. 11, 2017 – Tied at 1-1 in the third inning, the University of South Florida baseball team erupted for five runs on six hits in the bottom half to take control and coast to its 13th-straight win, defeating Valparaiso 8-1 Saturday night.

The decisive third frame was fueled by a double error courtesy of the Crusaders’ (6-7) shortstop. After the Bulls (14-1) put two men on with a pair of singles, a Joe Genord (Lake Worth, Fla.) grounder to short was dropped, then the late throw sailed into the USF dugout, allowing two men to score. Two singles and a double allowed three more runs to cross home plate, giving the Bulls a 6-1 advantage.

The bases were left loaded in the inning, as the Bulls could have blown the contest wide open. But it was plenty the hosts would need. The pitching allowed just two hits and the bullpen logged 3.2 innings of one-hit ball and five strikeouts. 

Key Stats

• Senior Luke Borders (Winter Haven, Fla.) went 2-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored.
  • Junior Duke Stunkel Jr. (Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.) also went 2-for-4 with a run scored and two RBI.
  • Redshirt-freshman starter Shane McClanahan (Cape Coral, Fla.) logged 5.1 innings of one-hit ball, allowing a run with five strikeouts and four walks.
  • The bullpen of junior Joe Cavallaro (Venice, Fla.) and sophomore Andrew Perez (Orlando) combined for 3.1 shutout innings with a total of five strikeouts.

Notables

• The Bulls 13-game win streak is now the fourth-longest in program history and the second-longest active streak in the nation. 
  • The Bulls’ offense has been on a tear over the last five games, producing 9.8 runs during the stretch.
  • The Bulls have now won all four series to start the season.

Up Next

The Bulls and Crusaders conclude the three-game set tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

We have a 4 game with Harvard coming up.  They've lost 2/3 against Jacksonville with a 4th coming up against them. Jacksonville lost their series with Valpo, 1-2, but did beat Florida in a 1 game series. 

I think we could snag 3-4 wins from Harvard. No reason why we can't. 

Edited by Breedwell

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Our RPI dropped from 41 to 50 after this sweep, because our SOS is so durned weak.

Harvard's RPI is 193. Even if we sweep, we'll likely drop. If we don't sweep, we'll plummet.

Our next real test doesn't come for two weeks - on the road for a midweek at FGCU, then a FAMU series at home.

Those four games will tell us a lot more about our team than the next 5 against Harvard and North Florida.