• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ICYMI: Zebold on the defense and Brian Jean-Mary

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

TAMPA, MARCH 8, 2017 – Under new head coach Charlie Strong, USF wants to make sure it takes care of business on the defensive side of the ball and business has been brisk so far this spring.

Day 2 of spring practice at the Morsani Complex saw USF’s veteran defense make game-changing plays during 7-on-7 drills. Senior strong safety Devin Abraham (Tarpon Springs) got things rolling with a pick-6 before senior cornerback Deatrick Nichols got in front of a receiver on a slant pattern for an easy interception.

RYEXFDWXHSWSOTA.20170308193047.jpg

Abraham and Nichols are two of nine returning starters on defense from last year’s 11-2 team and they’re part of a secondary that’s combined for 99 total starts. As a whole, USF’s defense returns seven of its top nine tacklers from last season, six players that accounted for 11 of the Bull's 15 interceptions, and 23 lettermen.

All of that is music to the ears of new coordinator Brian Jean-Mary, an 18-year coaching veteran.

“I think it’s unbelievable,” Jean-Mary said. “Usually when you come in and it’s a new coaching staff, that’s one of the things you don’t have. I always look at it like there’s no substitute for playing experience.”

Link to rest of report

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Looking for fast & aggressive, hope we can develop back into that.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

Watching that 1997 Inaugural game the other day reminded me of the days we had for some time through 2009 when we "swarmed and punished".  It was amazing how fast we could get 7-8 defenders to the ball.  Would love to see that type of pursuit in this defense.   Sounds like it...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

I have watched several of the old games (thanks again python) and wished each time we had a defense like they did then . I was thinking that "if* we had a defense like that last year and with the offence last year we would have likely been 12-0 and in a new years bowl game...nice to dream . Hopefully we get the old style defense back next year with a new and improved O... Come on Strong take us to the highest level !