• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: BULLS BRING THE TOUGHNESS IN FULL PADS

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,328
  • Content Count:  96,946
  • Days Won:  469

BULLS BRING THE TOUGHNESS IN FULL PADS

By TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, MARCH 10, 2017 – Charlie Strong’s bulked-up Bulls put on a show during the first spring practice in full pads on Friday morning.

“I just loved the energy and the enthusiasm,” Strong said. “We did bang it up some and really had some good drill work.”

MURSCANPBLUWFTV.20170310212352.jpg

Pads popped at a frequent pace during a two-and-a-half hour physcical workout at the Morsani Complex that produced a plethora of highlight-reel hits.

Junior linebacker Danny Thomas (Fort Lauderdale) made thunderous stops on back-to-back plays during team work, throwing a ball-carrier for a loss on one sequence. Freshman Elijah Mack (Punta Gorda, Fla.) helped the running backs return the favor by plowing through defenders near the line on the way to a long gain and then running over a linebacker.

Thomas (6-1, 224) and Mack (6-0, 215) are two prime examples of what the Bulls have been doing in offseason conditioning. Both have put on at least nine pounds, joining a healthy list of players that are making the most of new head strength coach Pat Moorer’s detailed program.

“You always talk about breaking your program down into five phases,” Strong said. “Phase 1 was winter conditioning. You want to reshape and redefine their bodies, and a lot of guys did.”

It certainly showed during the early part of Friday’s practice.

With the team surrounding the action, players brought tremendous energy during ferocious 1-on-1 and 3-on-3 drills that resembled Royal Rumble wrestling.

“(Strong) told us it was going to be physical, so we came out with the mindset of, ‘We’re going to do a lot of hitting,’” running back Darius Ticesaid. “We’ve got a week to rest and then we’ll come back and do some more hitting. We’re ready for it.”

Bulls Go on Spring Break

USF will have a week to rest up from Friday’s physical practice during the university's spring break. The Bulls get back to work on Tuesday, March 21, the first of an 11-practice run before the spring game at Corbett Stadium on Saturday, April 15.

“When we come back from break, we’ll be able to get back and really get a rhythm going, so we can be consistent and improve each and every day,” Strong said.

Healthy Tice Happy to Be Back

Darius Tice, one of USF’s hardest workers, is valuing each practice rep even more now that he’s got a second chance at his senior season.

BZYBWMNFDSRYMKR.20170310193019.jpg

The bruising 210-pound back has looked smooth running the ball this spring after being granted a medical hardship waiver by the NCAA. Tice broke his ankle early last season against Florida State and said he’s been moving around for the past six months.

“Things are starting to come back naturally for me,” said Tice after running for a 35-yard touchdown Friday.

Tice needs 126 rushing yards to reach 1,000 in his career at USF, but he’s extra focused on the bigger picture since returning to action as a veteran leader.

“It’s almost like I’ve got another chance at life,” he said. “I look at things differently and I approach every situation like it’s my last."

Despite losing Marlon Mack to the NFL, USF is still loaded at running back and Strong is taking a wise approach to working Tice back into the rotation.

“Knowing he’s coming off an injury, you want to make sure you protect him,” Strong said. “He needs the work and we’re giving him a chance to move around. He looks pretty good running the football.”

Notables

CYXTPMPZHJTHYQC.20170310193737.jpg

- Strong was happy with USF’s work ethic during the first three practices of the spring. “I’ve been very pleased, not only with this week but just how they’ve been working since we’ve been here,” he said. “They come in, they go about it the right way and they’re focused. They’re knowing they need to work and how hard they need to work.”

- Freshman safety Craig Watts (St. Petersburg) is getting reps at cornerback while Ronnie Hoggins (Tarpon Springs, Fla.) and Mazzi Wilkins (Tampa) rehab minor injuries. “When those guys get back, then we’ll put him back at his spot,” Strong said.

- Strong confirmed another position switch Friday. Junior Jimmy Bayes (Immokalee, Fla.) has moved from the defensive end to linebacker. “Bayes is going to be a backer and that’s where he’s going to work,” Strong said.

- Quarterback Quinton Flowers connected with senior receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling (St. Petersburg) for a 45-yard touchdown in the second half of practice Friday. Sophomore Darnell Salomon (Miami) showed why the future is bright for USF at receiver with a 70-yard touchdown catch during 11-on-11 work.

USF finished the 2016 season with a school record 11 wins following the program’s fifth-ever bowl victory in the Birmingham Bowl. The Bulls’ 11-2 record marked the fifth-best winning percentage in FBS football in 2016 and one of just 11 teams to reach 11 wins. USF set nearly 40 team and individual records in 2016, including team records for total yards (6,650), rushing yards (3,714), touchdowns (77) and scoring (569). Junior quarterback Quinton Flowers was named the American Conference Offensive Player of the Year and led a school-record 10 players named to the all-conference team, six of which, including Flowers, will return in 2017.

Follow @USFFootball on twitter for all the latest information concerning the USF Football program.

- #GoBulls –