• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF spring football: Day 2 observations

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Malik Dixon is transitioning from safety to linebacker.

Mi'Cario Stanley, now training at defensive tackle.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/usf-spring-football-day-2-observations/2315847

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Out of curiosity, I wonder how much a college athlete has to actually eat to put on 10 lbs?  Especially with his metabolism probably at an all-time high as he works out preparing to play football?  

I can't imagine it would be cheap to feed such a person.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  1,698
  • Days Won:  2

Kean had 2 interceptions today

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,683
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

Out of curiosity, I wonder how much a college athlete has to actually eat to put on 10 lbs?  Especially with his metabolism probably at an all-time high as he works out preparing to play football?  

I can't imagine it would be cheap to feed such a person.  

At 27 years old and 177 lbs, I find it is extremely difficult for me to put on even 3 lbs by eating a lot and weightlifting 5 days a week. It must be pretty grueling and expensive to put on 10 lbs.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

As a principle I'm not a huge fan of moving someone from safety to linebacker. Or from LB to DE, or from DE to DT. It generally means you're masquerading someone small at the position. Not suggesting this is a bad move, per se, just from afar it smells funny.

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

4 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

As a principle I'm not a huge fan of moving someone from safety to linebacker. Or from LB to DE, or from DE to DT. It generally means you're masquerading someone small at the position. Not suggesting this is a bad move, per se, just from afar it smells funny.

We are masquerading someone small at the position. Have been doing it for some time now. We are desperately thin at DL, especially DT. Short of bringing in more players (which they are trying to do, clearly) - what else can you do?

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

4 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

We are masquerading someone small at the position. Have been doing it for some time now. We are desperately thin at DL, especially DT. Short of bringing in more players (which they are trying to do, clearly) - what else can you do?

Agreed. We're making the best of the situation. I'd just rather see us recruit players who fit the bill, physiologically. I'm sure the staff would too. I'm not saying anything divisive or profound here. The only thing I really takeaway is if this happens too much, it could be a signal of a tough time on defense.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

36 minutes ago, USFBulls12 said:

At 27 years old [...]

Punk kid! :D

--An old guy

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

8 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Agreed. We're making the best of the situation. I'd just rather see us recruit players who fit the bill, physiologically. I'm sure the staff would too. I'm not saying anything divisive or profound here. The only thing I really takeaway is if this happens too much, it could be a signal of a tough time on defense.

I agree. Trying to put a linebacker at DT sounds like a recipe for disaster. It could very well be that they want him to have the technique down to serve as a backup or a passing down guy. Hope that's the case. Also hope our JUCO DE gets here quick.