• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Closes Regular Season Monday

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,972
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

WEB LINK: http://bit.ly/2lUaVy0

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: February 26, 2017

Follow @USFAthletics On Twitter

Like USF Athletics on Facebook

USF Closes Regular Season Monday

TAMPA, FEB. 26, 2017 – The University of South Florida women’s basketball team plays in its last game of the regular season on Monday, when it hosts No. 1 UConn on ‘Senior Night’ in the Sun Dome Arena at 7 p.m.

Fans are encouraged to be in their seats for the start of the pregame ceremony at 6:30 when the Bulls celebrate the careers of Paige Cashin, Ariadna Pujol, Nancy Warioba, Katelyn Weber and senior manager Jon Huang. 

The regular season finale will air as part of ESPN2’s Big Monday coverage, with Beth Mowins (play-by-play) and Kara Lawson (analyst) on the call. The USF IMG Sports Network radio broadcast can be heard on AM 1040, featuring Mike Lefko and Brigid Merenda.

USF (22-6, 11-4 The American) is fresh off its 22nd win which marks just the second time in program history the Bulls have reached 22 wins during the regular season. Sophomore Kitija Laksa (Riga, Latvia) led the Bulls with 34 points and produced USF’s third-ever perfect performance from 3-point range (minimum of five attempts) and became the first Bull to go 6-for-6. Her hot-shooting afternoon helped USF finish 61 percent from the floor and 57 percent from long range.

Promotions

USF looks to shatter an unofficial world record for most t-shirts tossed at basketball game. The Bulls aim to throw approximately 1,500 t-shirts between the first and second quarter.

The first 500 students to the arena will receive a free neon snapback hat.

The Opponent 

USF and UConn will meet for the second time this season and the 22nd time in program history. The Bulls look for their first win against the Huskies in the team’s 45 seasons. USF has faced UConn 15 times as a No. 1 seed.   

Notables

• Laksa needs 34 more points to tie Courtney Williams’ sophomore record of 586 points in a season.
  • The Bulls have totaled at least 22 regular season wins for just the second time in program history. USF won 24 games during the 2014-15 regular season and finished with a program record of 27. 
  • The Bulls close out the conference slate with a grueling 4 games across nine days.
  • As the third seed, USF is scheduled to play the 6/11 seed winner in the conference championship quarterfinals on Saturday, March 4 at 8 p.m.(ESPN3). The tournament will once again take place at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn.
  • The Bulls have totaled 13 wins by 16 or more points, including six against conference opponents.
  • Head coach Jose Fernandez reached 300 career wins Jan. 17. Only three active coaches in the American Athletic Conference have achieved the feat.
  • USF is the only team in NCAA Division I with nine international players on its roster.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

They forgot to add the word "Mercifully" to the title. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

They forgot to add the word "Mercifully" to the title. 

This article is for the women's team.  For some reason, it appears you thought it was then men's team.

2 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

This article is for the women's team.  For some reason, it appears you thought it was then men's team.

Ugh my bad. Ok change the word to "excitedly"

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  682
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Days Won:  6

Man I wish we could do the unthinkable tomorrow night.  UConn football and men's Bball fans are great, but the ones that live in Florida and show up for the women's game really piss me off.  I always end up sitting next to 3 or 4 65 year old women who truly believe their team is God's gift to the world.  Last year I had to move my seat when the lady next to me went off about how great Breanna was and we didn't have a chance.  When I said well, that's why they play the games, she looked at her buddies and they all just laughed.  So I move to another seat and yes, once again end up next to a 65 year old woman who starts trash talking me when it got out of hand so I left.  Can't wait to see who my neighbors are tomorrow night.  I'm guessing one of them will remind me within the first two minutes of taking my seat that we are their biggest beat down of the year and tonight will be no different.

Please come out tomorrow and support this team.  We need to have at least 2,000 Bulls fans there so we are not totally lost among the blue ***holes.  Go Bulls!

Edited by 79 Bull

17 minutes ago, 79 Bull said:

Man I wish we could do the unthinkable tomorrow night.  UConn football and men's Bball fans are great, but the ones that live in Florida and show up for the women's game really piss me off.  I always end up sitting next to 3 or 4 65 year old women who truly believe their team is God's gift to the world.  Last year I had to move my seat when the lady next to me went off about how great Breanna was and we didn't have a chance.  When I said well, that's why they play the games, she looked at her buddies and they all just laughed.  So I move to another seat and yes, once again end up next to a 65 year old woman who starts trash talking me when it got out of hand so I left.  Can't wait to see who my neighbors are tomorrow night.  I'm guessing one of them will remind me within the first two minutes of taking my seat that we are their biggest beat down of the year and tonight will be no different.

Please come out tomorrow and support this team.  We need to have at least 2,000 Bulls fans there so we are not totally lost among the blue ***holes.  Go Bulls!

Trash talking at a WBB game? Interesting...if gets out of hand tomorrow ask them if their FB might have a better chance at Div2. 

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Trash talking at a WBB game? Interesting...if gets out of hand tomorrow ask them if their FB might have a better chance at Div2. 

Unfortunately, I don't think they give a crap about "their" football team.

2 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

I've been at every USF/UCONN WBB game played in the Sun Dome, and a number of them up in CT, and never met a single trash talking Huskie fan.  It sounds like 79 isn't a season ticket holder.  Through the years there have been many UCONN fans who are USF season ticket holders.  Great supporters of our ladies!

I have been to every USF vs Uconn football game in CT, and have never had any issues. Good nature ribing at times but both laugh it off. Fun people to tailgate with too.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, 79 Bull said:

49 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

I've been at every USF/UCONN WBB game played in the Sun Dome, and a number of them up in CT, and never met a single trash talking Huskie fan.  It sounds like 79 isn't a season ticket holder.  Through the years there have been many UCONN fans who are USF season ticket holders.  Great supporters of our ladies!

I'm not sure what 79 being a season ticket holder has to do with anything. Just because you've never run across one, doesn't meant there aren't ***** UConn fans out there ...

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'm not sure what 79 being a season ticket holder has to do with anything. Just because you've never run across one, doesn't meant there aren't ***** UConn fans out there ...

Ned I'm not a WBB season ticket holder but go to a couple games each year including UConn because they are at such a different level.  Maybe my experience with their fans is unique. However, I went to the Amalie final four practice sessions and saw the same thing there. They just exude this attitude that they won't give the time of day to any other programs.  That's not to say I'm watching through some green and gold underdog filter.  Go Bulls!