• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Early Runs and Dominant Sanders Propels Bulls to Friday Win

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,963
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Web Link: http://bit.ly/ 2mgZpxH

Early Runs and Dominant Sanders Propels Bulls to Friday Win

The Bulls scored four runs in the first 3.0 innings and Pheonix Sanders struck out 10

TAMPA, FEB. 24, 2017 – The University of South Florida baseball team plated four runs early on which was more than enough to aid a dominant pitching performance from senior Phoenix Sanders (Gainesville, Fla.) in Friday’s series-opening 5-1 win over Miami (Ohio).  

The Bulls (4-1) struck early, as junior Kevin Merrell (Odessa, Fla.) clubbed a triple to center field in the first home at bat that landed on the dirt. He was immediately brought home by sophomore Coco Montes (Miami) with a single through the right side. 

After adding to the lead in the second inning, the Bulls doubled-up the Redhawks (0-4) in the third inning. With Merrell on second and senior Luke Borders (Winter Haven, Fla.) on second with two away, a potential inning-ending fly ball to deep right was dropped by a retreating Landon Stephens at the track, this allowing the two runners to score easily.

The Redhawks had their best chance to do damage in the top half of that third frame, as they had two runners in scoring position with no outs and the bases juiced with one gone. But Sanders struck out two and induced an inning-ending flyout to get out of his worst jam. 

He settled in from there and retired the final eight batters he faced, as the Bulls tacked on another run before the visitors put a dent in the scoreboard.

Quotables

Head coach Mark Kingston on his team’s performance and Sanders’s outing

“Phoenix’s biggest thing tonight was that he was holding his velocity late in the game which is a great sign. He wasn’t doing that as much last year and wasn’t quite as strong, so an outing like this for him his huge.” 

Phoenix Sanders on the win and his strong outing 

“I think the win Tuesday at Florida State was huge for our momentum and getting the win tonight keeps it going which is big for us. I was happy with my fastball command and my curveball was my putout pitch towards the end of the night so it was nice that I had success with both. The early run support was huge and my outfield with their speed covering the range from right to left is awesome to have backing me up.”

Key Stats

• Merrell finished 2-for-3 with two runs scored and an RBI.
  • Borders finished 2-for-4 with a run scored.
  • Sophomore third baseman David Villar (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) went 2-for-4 as well.
  • Junior Joe Cavallaro (Venice, Fla.) tossed 2.0 innings in relief and recorded five strikeouts while allowing just two hits.

Notables

• The Bulls are now 2-0 all-time against the Redhawks.
  • Merrell has two of his four career triples through the first five games of this season.
  • The Bulls surrendered less than three runs for the fourth time this season and have not allowed more than four thus far.
  • The 15 combined strikeouts are the second-most for the Bulls this year, as they recorded 16 against Iowa on Feb. 18. The team now has 63 strikeouts this season.

Up Next

USF and Miami (Ohio) will play a minimum of 18 innings on Saturday with a double-header. First pitch in game one is set for 2:00 p.m. Fans can purchase season tickets, flex plans and single-game tickets at USFBullsTix.com or by calling 1-800-Go-Bulls.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Go BaseBULLS! Keep it going! Double header today, would be great to snatch both of them.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,322
  • Days Won:  43

WSS if the USFWINS PJ code works today 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,878
  • Days Won:  33

4 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

WSS if the USFWINS PJ code works today 

We are in contact with Papa John's and are looking to find a promo code that will work

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, John Lewis said:

We are in contact with Papa John's and are looking to find a promo code that will work

You the real MVP. 

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,322
  • Days Won:  43

17 hours ago, John Lewis said:

Thanks, John!! The way the baseball team is playing, PJ will be giving out a lot of discounts this season lol. 

1 hour ago, John Lewis said:

I'm counting on those discounts as well

Just used now with no problems! Pan John's Favorite and some knots coming to my door!