• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Wrong Call made in move to fire Heath

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

19 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Straw man + hyperbole = irrelevant 

How? I've come to the same conclusion as the author of the article.

It’s always much easier to assess decisions with hindsight than it is to look forward to the future, but it’s abundantly obvious that USF made the wrong call when it fired Heath. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

18 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

How? I've come to the same conclusion as the author of the article.

The author's conclusion is flawed anyway.  It's not, " abundantly obvious that USF made the wrong call."  The only thing that's obvious is that COA didn't get the job done.

We don't know if Heath's teams would have been any better.  We don't know if, given more time, COA would have turned it around.  We don't know which, if any, other available coach could have done better.

Everything is hindsight and speculation.  Both of which we excel at here at TBP.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

15 hours ago, MechanicalBull said:

Yet if Woolard had not been fired I'm pretty sure Heath would not have been.  According to DW he thought fCSH was fired too soon.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,507
  • Days Won:  422

17 hours ago, MechanicalBull said:

1 hour ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Yet if Woolard had not been fired I'm pretty sure Heath would not have been.  According to DW he thought fCSH was fired too soon.

True .... but what's the relevancy to the statement that "Harlan did not fire Heath"?

10 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Things haven't gotten better without Heath. Guess what, we don't know if they would be any better with Heath either.

Firing him was the right call, he clearly fluked into the NCAA run and had proven not to be capable of consistently (or even rarely) breaking .500. Why keep him around? Is winning 14 games better than winning 11 in the grand scheme?

We need a coach who can get us above .500 more often than not. That wasn't Heath. Sorry.

6 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I guess that Elite 8 run at Kent State was fluky along with the back to back NCAAT appearances at Arkansas. And going 12-6 in what may be the greatest basketball conference of all time was fluky too??

The NCAAT run was fluky for USF, not for Heath.

Now if someone wants to argue that his teams at USF were too wildly inconsistent to meet the bar that he himself help raise then I'd agree with that.

This could be one of your best posts ................ ever.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

True .... but what's the relevancy to the statement that "Harlan did not fire Heath"?

Just saying he may not have been fired.  Then again the two firings may have been hand in hand.

Edited by Bourbon Bull

20 minutes ago, Triple B said:

3 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Just saying he may not have been fired.  Then again the two firings may have been hand in hand.

I don't remember the exact timeline back then so it may be a moot point, but I've always wondered if the conflicting opinions of CSH within the USF regime may have been at least partly responsible for the timing of DW's retirement ...

• Topic Count:  107
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

I should have quoted the original article where Perry suggests that Harlan was behind the firing.

“Coach Heath was on the right track, but when we got (athletic director Mark Harlan), he was big on changing things when he got there, so out the window that went basically.”

woohoo 1000 posts - only took me 14 years ;-)

Edited by MechanicalBull

Guest PCBull14
9 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I guess that Elite 8 run at Kent State was fluky along with the back to back NCAAT appearances at Arkansas. And going 12-6 in what may be the greatest basketball conference of all time was fluky too??

The NCAAT run was fluky for USF, not for Heath.

Now if someone wants to argue that his teams at USF were too wildly inconsistent to meet the bar that he himself help raise then I'd agree with that.

Heath is a average coach at best. Making the tournament at Arkansas should not impress anyone, that school has strong basketball history way before heath was thought about. 

That Kent State run he might have been coaching, but he owes most of that to Gary Waters. I always thought that, and its pretty much been proven with how average he's been everywhere else.

What he did here was pretty solid, nothing amazing but solid for one season. I highly doubt anything would have changed had he remained. He choose to run a type of basketball set up that led to his firing. He micromanaged himself out of job twice in a row. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

How many 20+ win seasons does USF Men's basketball have? Who coached those teams?