• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls’ Comeback Falls Short to No. 25 Temple

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com 

WEB LINK: http://bit.ly/2kNLQjY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DATE: February 19, 2017

Follow @USFAthletics On Twitter

Like USF Athletics on Facebook

Bulls’ Comeback Falls Short to No. 25 Temple

TAMPA, FEB. 19, 2017 – A flurry of scoring in the fourth quarter was not enough for the No 22 University of South Florida women’s basketball team Sunday. The Bulls lost 77-71 to No. 25 Temple at Sun Dome Arena. 

The Bulls (20-6, 9-4 The American) took a three-point lead with less than three minutes to play in the fourth quarter, overcoming a 13-point deficit at halftime. USF outscored Temple 45-38 in the second half, powered by 18 points from Maria Jespersen (Arhus, Denmark). Jespersen finished with a career-high 26 points and 11 rebounds. Tamara Henshaw (Palm Coast, Fla.) added her own double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds while Kitija Laksa (Riga, Latvia) tallied 14 points, 12 in the second half. 

USF started slow, with just eight field goals in the first half, shooting 24 percent (8-for-33). Laksa rattled off six points at the start of the third quarter, and with the Bulls’ first three pointer of the game, by Jespersen, USF cut the deficit to seven points. The Bulls remained within single digits the rest of the game. 

Jespersen gave USF its first lead in the fourth quarter with 4:57 to play and then again with 2:46 left on the clock when the junior drew a foul for a traditional three-point play. The Bulls led 67-64, but the Owls ended the contest on a 13-4 run.    

Temple (21-5, 11-2 The American) secured a second place standing in the league, and had four players in double figures. Feyonda Fitzgerald finished with 23 points while Donnaizha Fountain added 22.

Quotables

Head coach Jose Fernandez on his team’s effort:

“Up three and we don’t get a defensive stop. It was a long three from the left wing and we didn’t block out and that’s what it comes down to. We weren’t ourselves. The ball was not going in, and we didn’t do those other things. When the ball isn’t going you, you can always defend. And I don’t think we did that.”

Key Stat

20 – Temple scored 20 points off of 12 USF turnovers. 

4 – USF only connected on four of 17 three-point attempts and were held, for the first time this season, without a single three-pointer in the first half.

Notables

Jespersen tallied her ninth double-double this season, and matched her career-high 26 points for the fourth time. It was the seventh straight contest Jespersen turned in at least 13 points. 

Henshaw’s double-double was her fourth. It was also the third time in the last four games the freshman has grabbed 10 rebounds. 

The Bulls lost back-to-back conference games for the first time since playing in the Big East (2012-13). 

USF will close out its season with four games in nine days.

Up Next

USF will play its second game in three days for the second time in as many weeks Tuesday. The Bulls will travel to Houston for a 7 p.m. match-up at Hofheinz Pavilion.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  613
  • Days Won:  2

Did not think we had a chance to win 20 games or go to the big dance, but we can still do both.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Looking like a WNIT type of year after a strong start unless we make a run to the conference final. 

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

Any loss against either Houston or Tulsa and it's nit bound. I think we can still get into the tourney as long as our only losses are to uconn

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

I admit that I had over estimated the ladies earlier in the year. That is to say I overestimated their ability to play as a team and overcome adversity. I had forgotten just how young they are and how much we had lost. Give them another year of playing together and I'm hoping they can put that UConn supremacy to the test. :iconic_u_black:

They have still had a great year and will only get better. The best part is the year isn't over yet. The ladies still have a chance to shine and win some games. Congratulations to the ladies for their efforts thus far and I'm hoping you make a run to end the year. Go Bulls. :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636
  • Days Won:  0

I'm pretty sure we can finish the season in the top 30 with a RPI of about 30-40. 

Does that mean we're a shoe-in for the big dance? I mean, out of 64 teams, being a top 30 should get you qualified no?