• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No. 22 Bulls Host UCF In War on I-4

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,962
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

WEB LINK: http://bit.ly/2lDyKuk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: February 13, 2017

Follow @USFAthletics On Twitter
Like USF Athletics on Facebook

No. 22 Bulls Host UCF In War on I-4

TAMPA, FEB. 13, 2017 – T The No. 22 University of South Florida women’s basketball team will play its second game in three days Tuesday when it hosts in-state rival UCF at 7 p.m.   

The Valentine’s Day match-up will be broadcast on ESPN3, with Drew Fellios (play-by-play) and Steffi Sorensen (analyst) on the call. The USF IMG Sports Network radio broadcast can be heard on AM 820, featuring Mike Lefko and Brigid Merenda.

USF (20-4, 9-2 The American) tallied its fifth consecutive 20-win season Sunday in a 66-56 victory over Tulane. The Bulls were led by The American Player of the Week Kitija Laksa (Riga, Latvia) who registered 21 points. Four Bulls poured in double-figure scores.

Promotions
Valentine’s Day
Fans can bring their date to Gate A and receive a carnation, while supplies last. USF Athletics will also give out USF Window Clings to the first 1,000 fans.

War on I-4
The UCF and USF athletic departments have announced the official establishment of the War On I-4 rivalry series, which officially began Sept. 21, 2016 with a competition between the two schools’ volleyball programs. The War on I-4 represents a long-standing and passionate rivalry between the fan bases of two of the nation’s largest and fastest growing universities. The Orlando and Tampa Bay metropolitan areas are connected by 100 short miles of Interstate 4 (I-4).

Fans will be able to take pictures with the War on I-4 trophy at Gate A. 

The Opponent 
USF and UCF will meet for the second time this season and the 34th time in program history. The Bulls hold a 25-8 series advantage. USF is undefeated against the Knights since Dec. 10, 1980 and carry a 19-game win streak into Tuesday’s contest. USF has never lost a home game to its I-4 rival.

UCF (15-9, 5-6 The American) is on a two-game win streak with victories over Houston and Tulsa. The Knights are under new direction, led by first year head coach Katie Abrahamson-Henderson. UCF is averaging 64 points and 40 rebounds per game and have the league’s best rebounding defense, limiting opponents to 30 rebounds per game.

Notables
•    With just one meeting on the schedule this season, the winner of Tuesday's game between the Knights and the Bulls will earn all six points towards the overall department score. UCF currently holds an 18-15 edge in the series.
•    USF’s +9.8 rebounding margin leads The American, and their 72.1 points per game leads the league.
•    The Bulls have totaled 11 wins by 16 or more points, including four against conference opponents. 
•    Head coach Jose Fernandez reached 300 career wins Jan. 17. Only three active coaches in the American Athletic Conference have achieved the feat.
•    The Bulls are currently ranked No. 22 in the AP Poll. 
•    USF is the only team in NCAA Division I with nine international players on its roster.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

Hate to say any game is a gimmie but UCiF hasn't beaten us in going on 37 years; I think it's safe to say we will pick up win 21 tomorrow night. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

37 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

Hate to say any game is a gimmie but UCiF hasn't beaten us in going on 37 years; I think it's safe to say we will pick up win 21 tomorrow night. 

Their RPI is 130

We have to crush them by 50 points to not drop in the ratings...

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

So, basically other sports are not holding their weight, cause football sure did. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

5 minutes ago, Ned A Starr said:

A quick perusal of their attendance figures seems to indicate that they are out drawing our gals.  Sad, very sad to say the least.

I don't get it. This isn't like football where they can point to announced vs. actual. 

Seriously, where is the fan support on campus? I went to the game on sunday and there was no one there. This for, the #22 team in the country and owners of five 20 win seasons. They're easily the best program on campus. 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,455
  • Days Won:  19

37 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

I don't get it. This isn't like football where they can point to announced vs. actual. 

Seriously, where is the fan support on campus? I went to the game on sunday and there was no one there. This for, the #22 team in the country and owners of five 20 win seasons. They're easily the best program on campus. 

2 things:

1. They drew 4500 for UConn ... our UConn home game hasn't happened yet. 

2. WBB attendance is easy to manipulate, if they wanted to (and I have no idea if they did this) ... if their men play Miami at home (or any big draw), they could call it a double header and use one attendance figure for both games, so even though 150 people were actually at the women's game, if it was a doubleheader, they could claim 7500 that were there for the men's game. 

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,112
  • Days Won:  7

10 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

2 things:

2. WBB attendance is easy to manipulate, if they wanted to (and I have no idea if they did this) ... if their men play Miami at home (or any big draw), they could call it a double header and use one attendance figure for both games, so even though 150 people were actually at the women's game, if it was a doubleheader, they could claim 7500 that were there for the men's game. 

Ah, that would skew things. We will have anywhere from 6-8k in the stands for UConn. 

And those kind of attendance games are exactly what UCF would play. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

12 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

2 things:

Always wondered about this. I teach at D3 schools, and the men and women play the same schedules (for basketball and Volleyball, at least, maybe for baseball and softball). Saves a lot of money on busses, travel, etc.

How come D1 schools don't do this?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

But an OCS for football will solve all our problems.  :hijack:

• Upvote 2