• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF 7-footer Ruben Guerrero's a gentle giant

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

At times, his demeanor was a demerit. Ruben Guerrero's former coach wanted him meaner, scrappier. Even today, beleaguered USF fans wouldn't mind seeing Guerrero wield an elbow — or even an expletive — on occasion.

Bulls interim basketball coach Murry Bartow gets it. And to be sure, Bartow would like his junior 7-footer to be more aggressive — and consistent — on the court. But he's also smart enough not to try to defy human nature. Which is to say, it's futile to try to coax Guerrero into brandishing a scowl as profound as his sneaker size (16).

A scowl wouldn't befit one of the nicest guys on USF's campus.

"I think he is who he is," Bartow said. "I think what you try to do with every player is build on who they are and not try to maybe make them something they're not."

This is who Ruben Guerrero is: native of Marbella, Spain; honor student (3.7 grade point average as a finance major); scathing self-critic and immaculate housekeeper (almost to a fault).

He's a member of USF's Student-Athlete Advisory Committee; a two-time recipient of USF's Spirit Award, given to the athlete who shows the most support for the other teams, and winner of the 2015-16 NCAA Division I Male Sportsmanship Award.

It's just not in him to elicit trash, even in a dumpster-fire season (7-17 record, 1-12 in the American Athletic Conference after Saturday night's victory over East Carolina).

Take that women's tennis match last spring on campus. A few USF fraternity guys were giving opposing players and even coaches the business. Instead of joining them, Guerrero — a towering fixture at Bulls' sporting events — admonished them.

"I just went over there and was just like, 'C'mon, guys,' because they were actually hurting our girls, too. They couldn't focus and stuff," Guerrero recalled. "I was like, 'Just keep it down, just cheer on our team and forget about the opposite team.' "

They stopped.

"As good a young man as I've ever been around," Bartow said.

Rest of article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Kinda wish he'd get a little rougher, but he is who he is. we're a better team with him than without him.

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Bartow said. "I think what you try to do with every player is build on who they are and not try to maybe make them something they're not."

I really believe in this. Folks need to spend more time building up their strengths, rather than trying to fix their weaknesses.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

12 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Kinda wish he'd get a little rougher, but he is who he is. we're a better team with him than without him.

I really believe in this. Folks need to spend more time building up their strengths, rather than trying to fix their weaknesses.

To your last point, you are 100% right brother. I preach this almost every day in the classroom. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

hallelujah-can-i.jpg

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

51 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Folks need to spend more time building up their strengths, rather than trying to fix their weaknesses.

:guinness:

• Topic Count:  2,328
  • Content Count:  21,279
  • Days Won:  10

He struggles to put in the ball under the rim.