• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CBS Sports calling us winners on signing day!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Having an offense this good makes you want things.   We may be 4 or so recruits away from being contenders.  I know we wouldn't have landed them with Taggart but Strong is a D line coach at his core.   Wanted a couple elite big men to push for starting jobs.  We did OK and will have a shot to win AAC.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

UCF making headway in the Bay is the only thing that bothers me about the class. Decent for what CCS had to contend with.

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, usfbullrider said:

Having an offense this good makes you want things.   We may be 4 or so recruits away from being contenders.  I know we wouldn't have landed them with Taggart but Strong is a D line coach at his core.   Wanted a couple elite big men to push for starting jobs.  We did OK and will have a shot to win AAC.

There is a less than 1% chance USF, or any, non P5 team competes for a title.

In the current environment USF's goal is AAC title. If they happen to go undefeated then a NYD bowl will be the reward.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,743
  • Days Won:  17

On 2/2/2017 at 5:01 PM, zarnozdabull said:

The amount of Bay players that ended up at UCF IS upsetting.

We should have built the wall.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

22 hours ago, Capital H said:

In the current environment USF's goal is AAC title. If they happen to go undefeated then a NYD bowl will be the reward.

That's just simply incorrect. As I, and others have repeated before, if Houston ends the season undefeated this year they are in over Washington. Not even questionable 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, IBulleve said:

That's just simply incorrect. As I, and others have repeated before, if Houston ends the season undefeated this year they are in over Washington. Not even questionable 

What did I say that was incorrect? That the odds are unbelievable low for USF to make the playoffs, or the goal should be a conference title and then NYD bowl?

Its easy for you to proclaim Houston would have been in but have zero facts to base this on. I know it has become normal to make up alternative versions of history and call them fact, or unquestionable, but despite the politics of 2017 thats not how the world works.

Lets play out your make believe history though. Houston would have gone 12-1 with a win over a top 10 program on New Years day, and then had to have run the table in the following season just to be eligible. For your arguments sake lets say they are a lock to get in over Washington (they wouldnt have been, even the SOS favored Washington at the end of the year). What are the odds any program runs the table two seasons in a row, and finishes with an SOS in the top 50 in the second? Is it above 1%?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The key for a G5 school getting into the playoffs is how successful is your AD in getting a highly competitive schedule against P5 schools. If this is not done correctly, you are already out before the season starts and how many games you win is irrelevant. Our AD failed in putting together a competitive non conference schedule for the 2017 season. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, Capital H said:

What did I say that was incorrect? That the odds are unbelievable low for USF to make the playoffs, or the goal should be a conference title and then NYD bowl?

Its easy for you to proclaim Houston would have been in but have zero facts to base this on. I know it has become normal to make up alternative versions of history and call them fact, or unquestionable, but despite the politics of 2017 thats not how the world works.

Lets play out your make believe history though. Houston would have gone 12-1 with a win over a top 10 program on New Years day, and then had to have run the table in the following season just to be eligible. For your arguments sake lets say they are a lock to get in over Washington (they wouldnt have been, even the SOS favored Washington at the end of the year). What are the odds any program runs the table two seasons in a row, and finishes with an SOS in the top 50 in the second? Is it above 1%?

The point is if you're a top 4 team you'll be in. You're post had the tone that USF, because of its conference, has a much lesser chance of getting in. That is what I consider to be incorrect. I'm not making up history, I'm using 2016 Houston as a case study to prove that a G5 team isn't just playing for a NY6 bowl as you stated. 

Prior to their loss to Navy, Houston was directly behind Washington (6,7). IF, Houston would not have lost they would've jumped Washington and had the best win in the remaining portion of the schedule with their blowout of 'ville at home. This would have been enough to get them in over Washington, and made the Big Ten scenario even more interesting. 

Many people have this belief that G5 team "fly under the radar". And while I believe that's true for some teams, Houston was STILL ranked with 3 losses. We all witnessed what happened with Navy being ranked when they were clearly not a top 25 team. The fact Navy was ranked because of their win against Houston shows how the committee viewed the Cougars and one could make the argument they were actually overrated for a majority of the year. I'm not here to discuss that, but what I do believe is that the committee as a whole is pretty ignorant to the G5. If you're a top 4 team, and you prove that, you're getting in. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,473
  • Days Won:  422

23 hours ago, Capital H said:

50 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

H already addressed it but it is more than highly questionable due to the teams' SOS. At the season's end, per Sagarin, UW was at 60 and UH at 75. Houston's would have been even lower probably if they were undefeated because the 3 teams they lost to would have had worse records. Washington lone loss was to the #11 team. Also factor in the underlying bias of shutting 2 P5 conferences out of the playoffs for a G5 team, it probably wasn't going to happen.

Considering UH's schedule, with two occ top 10 games, was part of a perfect storm needed to bust into the playoffs and they wouldn't have, makes the less than 1% chance not totally out of line.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,473
  • Days Won:  422

4 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

Prior to their loss to Navy, Houston was directly behind Washington (6,7). IF, Houston would not have lost they would've jumped Washington and had the best win in the remaining portion of the schedule with their blowout of 'ville at home. This would have been enough to get them in over Washington, and made the Big Ten scenario even more interesting. 

There was no CFP rankings prior to their loss to Navy.