• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Must be more to the story...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, Brad said:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around someone under the age of 80 using the term "oh my goodness" ..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

wow!
it is about respect

and strongs gives and gets it

taggart apparently does not

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

With all the area hs coaches hating on him ... remarkable. Kind of agree with what someone said that CCS is probably more old school, maybe kissing the hs coaches's butts more where CWT was the new, social media type, going straight to the players. Regardless, as long as CCS can continue trying to put up the wall around the bay area whatever way he can, it's all good. 

I tend to think this is the most likely scenario. Just different styles--going through the coaches requires political investments, and that didn't seem like CWT's style. He definitely seemed to like winning the kids' hearts first.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

8 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

I tend to think this is the most likely scenario. Just different styles--going through the coaches requires political investments, and that didn't seem like CWT's style. He definitely seemed to like winning the kids' hearts first.

But it is a bit disrespectful to just ignore local coaches as seems to be what he did. How did he get through 4 years without building any relationships. It's one thing when he can only visit from WKU but when he is a 15 minute drive it's a bit different. It seems multiple people in the local football community lacked anything good to say about him. Which is really odd and also surprising since it seems players liked him so much, why not the local coaches? 

Edited by Gismo

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,485
  • Days Won:  0

Per this quote from TBO.com, it appears that Taggart just recruited a way that high school coaches weren't used to.  I don't think it was anything nefarious, he just ignored the coaches and went right to the players.

Two Hillsborough County head coaches said they have never met Taggart. Hillsborough coach Earl Garcia, a USF alumnus, said he has spoken to the Bulls head coach “maybe 10 minutes total,” despite having two prominent players, linebacker Nigel Harris and punter Mattias Ciabatti, on the USF roster for Taggart’s three seasons.

Sunday night, Garcia learned Hampton, his cornerback, was switching his commitment from Toledo to USF.

“That was news to me,” Garcia said. “It’s not like there’s bad blood. There’s just ... no blood, no contact, no relationship. It’s a unique recruiting strategy. Maybe they’re doing it right. Maybe it’s just me. But I’ve been doing this 42 years and I’ve never seen that.”

http://www.tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/bulls-focus-on-the-locals-on-signing-day-20160203/

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

At the end of the day its a business and Taggart was successful in his methodology. Its not a right or wrong, but a preference.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

There's always two sides to the story, and Taggart's isn't being told here.

Sure, he didn't stroke the ego of the coaches as much as he should have, and that cost him. But look at it from the other side-what if coaches were trying to tell their best kids "don't go to USF, go elsewhere". USF hasn't always gotten respect, even in the Big East days, from the local coaches. There's always been a stigma of being the "fourth school". If taggart was getting disrespected by local coaches early on, then why wouldn't he adapt his recruiting strategy? 

There's probably an element of "both sides have some guilt" in this scenario-Taggart, for not reaching out to local coaches to help build his wall around Tampa, and the local coaches, for believing that Taggart owed them his total obeisance before he could recruit their players. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

10 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

There's always two sides to the story, and Taggart's isn't being told here.

Sure, he didn't stroke the ego of the coaches as much as he should have, and that cost him. But look at it from the other side-what if coaches were trying to tell their best kids "don't go to USF, go elsewhere". USF hasn't always gotten respect, even in the Big East days, from the local coaches. There's always been a stigma of being the "fourth school". If taggart was getting disrespected by local coaches early on, then why wouldn't he adapt his recruiting strategy? 

There's probably an element of "both sides have some guilt" in this scenario-Taggart, for not reaching out to local coaches to help build his wall around Tampa, and the local coaches, for believing that Taggart owed them his total obeisance before he could recruit their players. 

Basically, that's it. There are usually 3 sides to every story and we're just getting one.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Well, if this is true then the good news for us is that since Taggart is 3500 miles away he won't have such an easy time building the relationships with the players, whereas a relationship with the coaches would have allowed the coaches to be happy to send the recruits his way.

Either way Taggart's methods worked for him and as a school and program we benefited.  Strong is here and hopefully, as expected, we continue to recruit the area well and even better.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

But then there is this where a coach was trying to get advice and Tags blew him off. Seems to not only be about kissing the ring.