• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Must be more to the story...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

2 minutes ago, RedBull13 said:

Whatever XCWT did.... it worked. I dont think any of us can deny that. But it definitely doesnt hurt to have the local high school coaches on your side with all the in-state talent we have. Taggs is gone, Strong is in. Im excited for the future!

xcwt was good at using technology to get recruits, but he forgot how to win over coaches. There really was no reason why he couldn't meet face to face with local coaches. A lot of college coaches have to travel from other states to meet recruits and high school coaches, he just needed to drive 30 minutes or less. Just seems sort of lazy to me. I totally agree with you, the future is bright at USF. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

1 hour ago, thatBULL said:

Willie T was always a snake in the grass.  I'm glad he helped rebuild USF and thank him for that, but you could always tell he was a snake.

You could tell for the last year plus he was looking to leave. I understand wanting to leave for a better and higher paying job, but you don't have to be so obvious about it. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, RedBull13 said:

Whatever XCWT did.... it worked. I dont think any of us can deny that. But it definitely doesnt hurt to have the local high school coaches on your side with all the in-state talent we have. Taggs is gone, Strong is in. Im excited for the future!

This. I dunno what the article or these coaches sentiments mean, but at this point if they respect our current coach it's all good. Really makes you think though. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

How important is it to have the HS coach approval? Xcwt knew that the players today play for themselves and take control over their own future. True the HS coach may try to influence but in the end xcwt took that power away from them. But xcwt is starting to look more and more like "sneaky Willie" as time goes by. 

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,493
  • Days Won:  10

HS coaches are mentors and father figures to a lot of these kids and circumventing them to get to the players would certainly rub them the wrong way.  I would prefer that we have area coaches talking up the program and having athletes come here with their blessing.

I would also have preferred that this article come out a few days before NSD and not after all is said and done.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, GaUSFBull said:

My gut tells me this is the case.  The results speak for themselves.  LOTS of high schools in the Bay Area.  IMO, it shouldn't be about stroking the HS coaches' egos, it should be about the players.  

I don't really think it is about ego, at least with a guy like Garcia.  I'm sure he has seen more than a couple of his guys, and lots of others, get caught up and used up by shady college coaches over the years and I would give him the benefit of the doubt that his involvement is only in the players best interest.   To some of the coaches he is speaking for, yes it is probably ego.

Of course it should be about the players, but the players are young males and often do not have strong internal or external guidance on good decision making and that is a role that many public HS coaches take on.  All it would take is a couple conversations on Taggart's part to build that trust. 

It'll all blow over by the weekend anyway.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993

16 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

HS coaches are mentors and father figures to a lot of these kids and circumventing them to get to the players would certainly rub them the wrong way.  I would prefer that we have area coaches talking up the program and having athletes come here with their blessing.

To add insult to injury, some of these coaches have been living that #BayMade life for 30+ years.  To have a guy ride into town, throw that around, smile for the cameras, and never make an effort towards building real relationships with the HS coaches who have been trying to "make" something for these Bay kids since xCWT was one of them, that would probably piss me off too.

Edited by slowdown

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

Looking past the negative aspect to the article, it sounds like Strong is making the right impression upon the local coaches. That is huge for us in the future, especially if he can sustain the success we've had recently.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726

You know...the more I hear, the more I have to lean on the side of the HHS coach.  But honestly, what's done is done.  That's how Taggart did it and we're better; HOWEVER, imagine IF Taggart would have catered to old school coaches in the direct AREA and COUNTY around USF?  Making them, their team and parents FANS of the local college program and the great man that was leading it.  Maaaaaybe more butts in seats?  More local interest in the local college product? 

I dunno...networking is key in life.  Period.  So I LOVE everything I hear about CCS.  It's a GOOD TIME to be a USF BULL!!!

GO BULLS!!!