• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Could USF Surpise on Signing Day?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,493
  • Days Won:  10

Could USF surprise on signing day?

Sunday, January 29, 2017 12:22pm

USF coach Charlie Strong's first Bulls signing class formally will be unveiled Wednesday.

Times file photo

USF coach Charlie Strong's first Bulls signing class formally will be unveiled Wednesday.

The recruiting season's final stretch has been quiet -- almost strangely so -- around USF. No 11th-hour flips or midnight-hour pledges. Instead of the normal din, we're getting mostly dead air.

All of which leads one to wonder if Charlie Strong has called the first misdirection play of his Bulls tenure. Could a surprise or two be in store?

So far, we've had subtle suggestions. On Saturday, Miami Southridge S Naytron Grayson tweeted his commitment to USF, but deleted it soon thereafter. He also tweeted, "Signing day gone(sic) be a shocker."

Meantime, running backs coach (and local recruiting extraordinaire) Shaun King continues teasing Bulls fans with tweets rife with optimism if not specifics:

Its gonna be such an awesome signing day! (Wednesday)

Got some great news today!!!! (Thursday)

And don't forget four-star Hillsborough DE Zachary Carter, a Florida commitment who told Times staff writer Bob Putnam that Strong is the only coach who possibly could lure him away from Gainesville.

Mike Farrell, national recruiting director for Rivals.com, said Friday he doesn't see the Bulls pulling off any signing-day stunners, but does believe Strong will add some players. Currently, USF has 11 non-binding verbal commitments, now that Deerfield Beach three-star WR Daewood Davis announced Sunday he has flipped to Oregon.

"It would shock me if (Strong) didn't add anybody, so I think you'll see a few kids added between now and Wednesday," Farrell said.

"Some of 'em could be high-level, three-star kids. But I don't see anybody...that's a four-star kid that's gonna say, 'I'm not going here, I'm gonna go to USF,' unless they're dropped. This is the time of year where teams fill up (scholarship allotments). So there are some four-star kids that get sort of left out."

At any rate, the suspense ends Wednesday.

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Could is surprise on how bad it is.  Sure!  Right now the worst class in AAC. and #113 class in the country.  Come one CCS, pull in the #130 class in the country.  You can do it.  You're almost there!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 15

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,799
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Could is surprise on how bad it is.  Sure!  Right now the worst class in AAC. and #113 class in the country.  Come one CCS, pull in the #130 class in the country.  You can do it.  You're almost there!

This all depends on what a site uses as an indicator. For example some use total based on all recruits. Not every school has same sized class. Some use avg stars which I believe is more indicative of a what a class rank really stands. I am prett sure the one you are quoting is using a total and not an avg star ranking.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

8 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Right. Kind of like how surprised I was at how nasty Austin was when I visited the first time. Full of bums, druggies, and hookers. And the stench of rotting burritos.

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,351
  • Days Won:  4

9 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Probably should wait until Wednesday before you act like this... 

Edited by ForestBull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

9 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Not.Sure.If.Serious.

Taggart had a weak class...in the 70-80 range BEFORE he left. Then he poached 3 of our highest rated players, and a few others defected.  Strong has brought in an impressive bunch for OVs, so if he can score a big hitters, the class could be small, but good...and leave us a TON of schollies for 2018, when Charlie will have a year to recruit, with his staff, and hopefully have a great season to help us land a Top 40 class (or maybe even Top 30).

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

Getting Dingle alone would be solid. With the very real possibility of landing at least one of AJ davis, James robinson and Natron Culpepper, the mood around here could change real quick. That's not even mentioning Zach Carter who seems like a long shot, but there's still a chance.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We WILL close strong tomorrow 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,324
  • Content Count:  21,267
  • Days Won:  10

Going to interesting, CCS has a philosophy of keeping things tight to the vest.  Probably to keep the other Florida schools for reacting to his inroads with a potential recruit.