• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Band's Rome tour includes playing for Pope Francis

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

6 minutes ago, Bulls 8_va said:

We were one Temple WIN away from a possible NY6 bowl...and the band was ALREADY scheduled to go over a year ago.  

And if they had still gone to see the Pope, you may have more agreeing with you ... Perennial NY6 programs probably don't schedule something like this with their bands ... You're making a mountain of a molehill in regards to this program.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

Just now, Triple B said:

And if they had still gone to see the Pope, you may have more agreeing with you ... Perennial NY6 programs probably don't schedule something like this with their bands ... You're making a mountain of a molehill in regards to this program.

While I do agree with you over the mountain/molehill, being in this with the likes of marshall? and UAb? 

Not too prestigious...

#gobulls

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

The Pope is the Pope... they will remember playing at the Vatican on New Years Day more than a non-essential bowl game versus a 6-6 USCe team. Granted, I'm Catholic... but it's the Pope. He's more famous than Mr. awesome himself, President Donald Trump. That's all you need to say.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Ugh Sheriff mentioned two people I hate the most in one post....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  2,726

1 hour ago, The Sheriff said:

The Pope is the Pope... they will remember playing at the Vatican on New Years Day more than a non-essential bowl game versus a 6-6 USCe team. Granted, I'm Catholic... but it's the Pope. He's more famous than Mr. awesome himself, President Donald Trump. That's all you need to say.

Ummmmm...Uab played for the pope too.  Soooooo...ya.  

Southern Cal's marching band travels to every away game.  Th pope watches movies and music videos they're on.  

These are the types of experiences our band should have.  Travel to away games and show up EN MASSE to a bowl game vs an SEC team.  My $0.02

Playing for "the pope" is cool...I'm catholic too.  But...cmon man.  

GO BULLS!!!

• Downvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

13 hours ago, Bulls 8_va said:

Ummmmm...Uab played for the pope too.  Soooooo...ya.  

Southern Cal's marching band travels to every away game.  Th pope watches movies and music videos they're on.  

These are the types of experiences our band should have.  Travel to away games and show up EN MASSE to a bowl game vs an SEC team.  My $0.02

Playing for "the pope" is cool...I'm catholic too.  But...cmon man.  

GO BULLS!!!

Wow. You really seem butt hurt about this.  Playing for the pope or playing at that turd of a stadium where the women's rest rooms weren't open for the first half.  I don't see how anyone would choose the latter.  It is a freaking low tier bowl game vs a trip to Rome (even if you take out the Pope).   We'll agree to disagree on the value to a band member's life journey.

And, was anyone forced to go to Rome?  I don't know the answer to that. But if they made the choice I think that says a lot.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

On 1/29/2017 at 9:41 PM, lotsofbull99 said:

Secular University performing for a Papist?

Image result for may the christian lord guide my hand

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  109

On 1/30/2017 at 0:33 PM, Yogi said:

Never liked the idea of the band ditching the football team like that at the bowl game.   Marching band is for football entertainment.  

And this is coming from a former band member.

The band's job is to be a representative and ambassador of the University, not just for football entertainment. Of course, the primary responsibility as an athletic band is to support the athletic programs, but the overall goal is to represent the university.

On 2/1/2017 at 1:14 PM, Bulls 8_va said:

Traveling to Rome can be done with the purchase of a plane ticket for a few hundred bucks man.  It aint that deep.   

These kids had to PAY for this trip.  Not like they couldn't do it on their own.  

We wanna be a REAL school who cares about football and brings our A-game to away trips in the country?  Or we wanna be half assing it? 

GO BULLS!!!

If we want exclusivity, then Athletics should fork up the dough to pay for the band 100%. The majority of funding for the bands comes from the kids between tuition, fees, and supplies. I agree though, let's get the band to out of state away games. I wish we had more travel when I was in HOT.

This was an opportunity to represent the University and HOT delivered - to both this and the Bowl game. There were multiple contingencies in place should we have made a larger bowl game or needed more personnel. The HOT staff is pretty smart and good at what they do.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,320
  • Days Won:  10

Years ago I  was invited to join a diocesan choir to sing for Pope JP2.  It would have cost me $750 for travel, etc.  Against  my wife's advice I  declined to take money  away  from  my  family  so that I  could experience  this.  Major regret to this day.  I'm  very glad that these kids got to experience  this once in a lifetime  trip.