• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Head Coach Basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  707
  • Days Won:  1

What happens when we fill all these roster spots and can't bring in new recruits?  And, being critical, I haven't seen an abundance of local offers either.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

6 minutes ago, JoshuaG said:

What happens when we fill all these roster spots and can't bring in new recruits?  And, being critical, I haven't seen an abundance of local offers either.

Mark Harlan said he wanted USF to recruit locally, Coach Bartow vowed to recruit locally if he got the job. Coach Gregory got the job and one of the first things he said was he would recruit locally. In fact Heath and Antigua said they wanted to recruit locally when they were here.

I think it's very clear now that either local coaches aren't helping USF get their players and/or local HS, JC, or Prep kids just don't want to play for the USF Bulls. Unlike the previous head coaches, Coach Gregory and his experienced staff of coaches have identified that putting a bunch on eggs into the local basket has the potential to be disastrous. I love the way this staff is out there recruiting and I have noticed that they are really concentrating heavily in other southern states, and up in the Northern areas where you can really use the Florida weather as a recruiting advantage. Also basically leaving the West Coast alone which we should since there is nothing to sell to recruits out there imo.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,463
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, Vega said:

Mark Harlan said he wanted USF to recruit locally, Coach Bartow vowed to recruit locally if he got the job. Coach Gregory got the job and one of the first things he said was he would recruit locally. In fact Heath and Antigua said they wanted to recruit locally when they were here.

I think it's very clear now that either local coaches aren't helping USF get their players and/or local HS, JC, or Prep kids just don't want to play for the USF Bulls. Unlike the previous head coaches, Coach Gregory and his experienced staff of coaches have identified that putting a bunch on eggs into the local basket has the potential to be disastrous. I love the way this staff is out there recruiting and I have noticed that they are really concentrating heavily in other southern states, and up in the Northern areas where you can really use the Florida weather as a recruiting advantage. Also basically leaving the West Coast alone which we should since there is nothing to sell to recruits out there imo.

Wait, I thought the problem with the previous regimes was that they DIDN'T recruit locally so how could they have been putting a bunch of eggs in that basket?? .... and all we've been hearing is that we HAVE to recruit locally and Florida to have any success but now that target apparently has been moved?

CBG and staff have been on the job less than 2 months, coming in having to recruit 8, now 9, players to come here in a short amount of time. They were going to hit the areas they were already pretty familiar with to get the more immediate results ... Plus, we were apparently targeting grad transfers, along with reg transfers and there weren't a whole lot of local options for that.

Bottom line, after less than 2 months on the job nothing is very clear about how it's going to pan out for this regime as far as local recruiting goes. Hopefully down the line they can get some quality kids to stay home but if not, the most successful roster in our history only had one local key contributor on it.

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

Actually there were quite a few local guys looking to transfer from their previous school. USF didn't get one,  not really a serious look so far. We'll see what Laquincy Rideau does soon since we still might want another PG. Two local PGs committed to Penn St and Akron respectfully today.

You are right in that maybe years on down the line USF can get a good local prospect or two to play for them. In the meantime the coaching staff have identified the areas in recruiting they are going to attack for the 2018 and 2019 classes as I said earlier.

1 hour ago, Vega said:

You are right in that maybe years on down the line USF can get a good local prospect or two to play for them.

It's happened in the past so no reason it can't happen again ...

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

We are now starting to see more USF offers to Florida HS players:

1. 2018 Oldsmar Christian (FL) C Michael Durr has received an offer from South Florida. (HT @JKimElevate) @mikeprobound http://verbalcommits.com/players/michael-durr 

2018 Westminster Academy (FL) G Zach Scott, Jr. has received an offer from South Florida. (HT @JKimElevate) http://verbalcommits.com/players/zach-scott-jr 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Let get this party started!

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

So. Maybe. I'm a little excited about the future of Men's BB?

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I just have to say that I'm totally impressed with how things have gone since the hiring.

(1) Good assistants brought on right away.

(2) The roster is replenished.

It's been a whirlwind of action steps and necessary results. Pretty darn impressive. Let's see where we go from here. I don't dare use the word, "hopeful," but I really like how things have progressed so far.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:32 PM, Ionbull said:

So. Maybe. I'm a little excited about the future of Men's BB?

Helluvalot more to get a little excited about now than 2 months ago ...