• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mandel: Charlie Strong got a Second Chance and Doesnt Intend to Waste It

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

12 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

"An offensive staff that went 5-7 last season and lost to Kansas takes over a team with New Year's Six expectations."

It feels like the program is on the verge of big things, and I have high hopes for what Strong can do here, but that Texas thing remains in the back of my mind. This job will not be without pressure for him. Another 11-2 season in 2017 won't be good enough for part of our fan base.

Honestly, yes, can't discount the results at Texas. However, can't also discount the results at Louisville, Florida, and his clout on the trail and respect amongst his peers. 

The hardest part about the offseason is not being able to see any evidence yet of what the changes will actually be. CWT would've went into this year with undefeated expectations from the fan base; most of us still believe that's the expectation, but with a new staff one or two losses, accompanied with an AACC, would be acceptable. 

The only way you see heat on CCS is if Gilbert's offense is inept or the players have a hard time grasping it. I get we lost Mack, Adams and two cornerstones on the OL, but the QB is the same. I would bet you see massive frustration from the fanbase if the offense isn't at least close to as high flying as last year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

Yeah USF expectations aren't as high as Texas, USF only expects to go undefeated. 

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,733
  • Content Count:  37,566
  • Days Won:  29

1 hour ago, Gismo said:

Yeah USF expectations aren't as high as Texas, USF only expects to go undefeated. 

Wish our attendance was as high as Texas ... high school's. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

3 minutes ago, E.T. said:

Wish our attendance was as high as Texas ... high school's. 

Texas high schools have ocs's ...... most nicer than the BHNFP. 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

3 hours ago, NAM37 said:

The "pressure" at USF is not compatible to the pressure at UT.

At UT, the boosters OWN the program and demand tons of off-the-field junk from their coaches. They also have the (no longer realistic?) belief that they should be a top 5 program every year. At UT you are a failure as a coach unless you win  10 games every year and bow down to rich morons is cowboy boots weekly. Then, on top of the crazy expectations and boosters, you have to deal with the school owning its own TV network. It's a horrible job (but the money is great).

At USF, all you need to do is win some games and smile for the cameras.

But, we demand excellence. Is CCS ready for that?

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, George Jenkins said:

But, we demand excellence. Is CCS ready for that?

I mean we did start looking for reasons to push out the father of USF football because he couldn't get us to double digit wins as a 12 year old program in a BCS conference. Wonder if Charlie knows the whole history. 

Edited by 206BULL
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Texas high schools have ocs's ...... most nicer than the BHNFP. 

Exhibit A:

LR0tIXf.png

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Ionbull said:

CWT would've went into this year with undefeated expectations from the fan base; most of us still believe that's the expectation, but with a new staff one or two losses, accompanied with an AACC, would be acceptable. 

An argument can be made that I'm being unfair, but count me among those who would be disappointed with anything less than an AACC. We have enough talent returning, and a favorable enough schedule with all of our toughest games at home, that winning it this year is a reasonable expectation. QF was obviously very comfortable in the Gulf Coast Offense. Hopefully the new offense will be very similar for his Senior year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

10 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

An argument can be made that I'm being unfair, but count me among those who would be disappointed with anything less than an AACC. We have enough talent returning, and a favorable enough schedule with all of our toughest games at home, that winning it this year is a reasonable expectation. QF was obviously very comfortable in the Gulf Coast Offense. Hopefully the new offense will be very similar for his Senior year.

I would be, too. Honestly we were all somewhat disappointed that we didn't get that chance this year. We had two bad games, one of which to the eventual conference champ on the road. It sucks that one game mattered that much, but for the most part we understood and accepted 11 wins and shattering program records. It'll be hard to swallow taking a step back in QF's final year.

Ill honestly be disappointed if the offense takes two steps back and the defense takes one step forward and we lose games because we don't score enough. I find it hard to believe it'll come to that, but that is my fear for sure.

• Upvote 3