• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Woodie makes it to Ducks

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

35 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

As fans it's frustrating to see situations like this but I understand this is the most important decision in these kids' lives and there are numerous people talking into their ears. I'm sure he was all in playing for Taggart at USF, but the situation is different now. Can CWT bring guys from Florida to Oregon? Sure. But he's working on relationships he already made, so it's easy to talk to them. 2-3 years down the road it won't be; especially if the new G5 coaches in Florida ramp up their contacts or if oregon doesn't have success. 

Could see a situation where guys transfer out once they realize football is only half the year and you're still in Eugene, Oregon. Not that it's a bad thing, but some players may not like it.

Exactly this. Oregon recruited Florida during previous staffs too but it's hard to get a kid to leave the only world they know behind for 4-5 years.  Oregon is one of those things that seems great in July-December but as reality sets in in January and February when where you're signing becomes more real that shine wears off quick.  Also, throw in the fact that many of these kids family can't afford to make the trip out there to see their kid play but maybe, maybe, once a season  and Oregon is a tough sell.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, MMW said:

I guess this sums up best what I was trying to say.  Eugene is 3000+ miles away.  The other Florida coach can see these kids at no cost as much as they are permitted by the rules.

Out of site, out of mind.  I guess we will see.

And that's the thing. They can't rely on a hefty percentage of recruits from FL in the coming years, and you'd have to wonder whether CWT's and Woodie's lack of connections on the west coast will put them at a significant disadvantage. Guess it's a risk Oregon was willing to take...

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

9 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

And that's the thing. They can't rely on a hefty percentage of recruits from FL in the coming years, and you'd have to wonder whether CWT's and Woodie's lack of connections on the west coast will put them at a significant disadvantage. Guess it's a risk Oregon was willing to take...

If only CWT had worked at a school on the West Coast. That would be super helpful.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, JTrue said:

If only CWT had worked at a school on the West Coast. That would be super helpful.

I know right. It would also be pretty helpful for him if the rest of his staff outside of Woodie, Reaves, Cristobal and Pimpleton had West Coast ties. What was Oregon thinking?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Even during his two years at Stanford as the RB coach, his recruiting responsibility was mostly in the SE, with experience only in Riverside in Cali. Just not sure all the great FL recruiting translates to great west coast recruiting.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Even during his two years at Stanford as the RB coach, his recruiting responsibility was mostly in the SE, with experience only in Riverside in Cali. Just not sure all the great FL recruiting translates to great west coast recruiting.

You can screen shot this, pin it, do whatever, to try and rub in my face down the road if CWT fails, but there is ZERO chance recruiting is going to be his problem. 

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

4 hours ago, Atlanta Bull said:

Now you have the trifecta: Willie, Woodie and Jimmie Leavitt. I think we can expect those guys to hit recruiting hard in the Bay area. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106
  • Days Won:  6

52 minutes ago, JTrue said:

You can screen shot this, pin it, do whatever, to try and rub in my face down the road if CWT fails, but there is ZERO chance recruiting is going to be his problem. 

No, I think he will do well recruiting the West coast but after this year and maybe next, Florida will be less important to him.  

We got VERY lucky he went to a school like Oregon out on the West coast.  Imagine how easily he could knock down our program if he was in, say, South Carolina? "Why would you want to play in the AAC in front of an empty stadium?  I got out of there the first chance I got!"

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I  understand picking a school with the right coach and game plan is important. But I would think picking the school itself (with its specific attributes) to be the most important as these kids have to know coaches come and go. 

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

Screen shot today, forgotten tomorrow. It's not like I have some great analysis to back up my position, but statistically speaking "zero" would be like giving your money away :GoBulls: