• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Ready for War on I-4 Matchup

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Web Link: http://bit.ly/2jhHkLB

Follow USF Men’s Basketball on Twitter

Like USF Men’s Basketball on Facebook

Bulls Ready for War on I-4 Matchup

This will be the first men’s basketball installment in the War on I-4 rivalry

Matchup: USF (6-10, 0-5 The American) at UCF (13-4, 4-1)
Date: Tuesday, Jan. 17
Time: 7 p.m.
Watch: ESPNEWS (Roy Philpott, Mark Wise)
Radio: 820 AM (Jim Lighthall, Jim Louk)
Follow: 
Listen | Stats | Watch

TAMPA, JAN. 16, 2017 – The War on I-4 rivalry continues on Tuesday night when the University of South Florida men’s basketball team visits UCF for a midweek conference showdown.

The meeting will be the first of two this season between the Bulls and the Knights (USF hosts UCF on March 2).This matchup will also break a 15-15 deadlock in the War on I-4 standings this year.

USF enters the contest following a narrow 62-56 defeat at Memphis on Saturday. The Bulls reduced a 16 point second half deficit to just two points before the Tigers held on for the victory. Freshman forward Malik Fitts (Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.) matched his career high 12 points, all of which came in the second half. Junior guard Geno Thorpe (Pittsburgh) also compiled 12 points for his 12th double-digit scoring game this year.  

The Opponent

UCF, winners in six of its last seven games, is one of the hottest teams in the American. The Knights knocked off Houston 77-70 on Saturday. All five starters netted double-figure points in the victory.

Statistically, the Knights own the conference’s top scoring defense (58.2 ppg) and hold opponents to a lowly .337 shooting percentage. Matt Williams leads the team in scoring (15.5 ppg) and Tacko Fall boasts one of the top shooting percentages in the nation (.800).

USF leads the all-time series with UCF 22-11.The Bulls have won 12 of the 16 meetings in Tampa, however, USF is up just 8-7 in games played in Orlando.

Notables

• The Bulls are second in The American in three point shooting percentage (.355).
  • Junior guard Geno Thorpe (Pittsburgh) is first in The American in free throw percentage (.861), fourth in steals (1.6) and seventh in assists (4.1).
  • Redshirt freshman forward Tulio Da Silva(Brazil) has grabbed the fourth-most rebounds in the conference (7.8 per game).
  • Junior center Ruben Guerrero (Spain) has 106 blocks at USF, seventh most in program history.
  • The Bulls have 10 or more steals in back-to-back games for the second time this season. USF has not posted three games in a row with double digit steals this year.
  • The Bulls’ bench outscored Memphis 17-0 in the last game played and own a +64 scoring margin against opponents this season.
  • USF has outscored the opponent by 103 points in the paint this year.
  • This season, the Bulls are one of four NCAA Division I teams with no seniors on its roster. The other three are Bradley, Penn State and UT-Rio Grande Valley.
  • The next USF Basketball Radio Show will be on Monday, Jan. 23 from World of Beer on Fowler Ave. Join interim head coach Murry Bartow and the voice of the Bulls, Jim Lighthall, for the one-hour show starting at 7 p.m. Listen live on 820 AM or online at GoUSFBulls.com.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

C. Florida is well coached and Tacko's size speakers for itself. It appears they made a homerun hire in Dawkins and have really responded well to him. Made Bartow will light the rivalry fire under the team's collective ass Let's smoke em! 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

This would be a signature win for this season. Kidding aside, I really think if they're prepared and can get Tacko in foul trouble, they could take it.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

Rivalry game, you never know what might happen. Tacko has gotten much better about avoiding silly fouls. I expect Matt Williams  to light up a bunch of 3's. UCF  does not have a consistent dominant offensive player, it gets shared.

• Upvote 1

Once dominating, not so much in last several years...

USF Vs.  

snippethoopsvsucf.PNG

When the War on I-4 was just a twinkle in the eye of UCF (must be viewed on desktop).

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

UCF only has about 6 Scholy players, so if you get a starter out, you will see the former manager of former GA play! 

Dawkins seems to be the real deal, he has taken the Donnie Jones players and won  a few games. Tough stretch of games coming, starting tonight IMO