• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Analysis: No Band-Aid fix for USF (men's) basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  25
  • Days Won:  0

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

The fact that you totally overlooked the loss of RAJ and Robertson, and what they meant to the team, shows you didn't really follow USF basketball back then ...

We absolutely agree, RAJ and Robertson carried Heath's deadweight mightily in that year. I'm probably not the fan you are but I do have game used jersey from the NCAA run. It's sweet with the Selmon memorial and NCAA logo patches.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

We need an Nohra, give him a shot!!! JK

But seriously.  The talent we have isn't horrible.  They need to be developed, coached and supported with ongoing consistent recruiting.

Michael Bibby's dad does a great job out here at Shadow Mountain high school.  He's always coached his son - now at USF.  I thought for sure the dad would have endded up as an asst.  I'd take a chance on a guy like that before hiring a retread or unproven off someone else's hands.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

1 minute ago, Iota97huthut said:

...but I do have game used jersey from the NCAA run. It's sweet with the Selmon memorial and NCAA logo patches.

Sounds sort of dark, but I'd like to be in your will...

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  25
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

He must have done something right to take Kent State to an Elite 8 and Arkansas to two NCAA tournaments. I guess taking three different schools to the NCAA tournament must have been blind luck since clearly you think he can't coach.

I wasn't a huge CSH fan especially towards the end (oh and that "watching the paint dry" excuse for an offense) but don't ignore the facts.

What I'm saying Heath actually was, is what COA wanted to be. A really good recruiter, who scored a bunch of NBA/NBDL/Euro league players at Arkansas and USF, but his wild yearly season coaching record didn't match. The multiple horrible years <12 wins, indicate something missing.

The fact is he has been fired twice, maybe unjustified at Arkansas, and he is not a head coach anywhere currently. So I would assume industry tends to side more with his tournament success is the anomaly and isn't banging down his door. Or he just likes lower assistant pay in Boston. Or he doesn't want to be the guy. Who knows.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

7 minutes ago, Iota97huthut said:

We absolutely agree, RAJ and Robertson carried Heath's deadweight mightily in that year. I'm probably not the fan you are but I do have game used jersey from the NCAA run. It's sweet with the Selmon memorial and NCAA logo patches.

****, sweet jersey .... All I have is an autograph basketball that I never did get Stan to sign before he was fired ..... too early, I might add. :GoBulls:

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

Ron Anderson jr was the heart and soul of the NCAA tourney team. He was the leader of the team not Gus.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

Gotta think way outside the box .... and he's already on the payroll .... but he does yell at players:

TAMPA — Carrollwood Day's game against Indian Rocks Christian is exactly 38 seconds old, but Patriots coach Karim Nohra has seen enough. He races to find a substitute for freshman guard Tiasia McMillan. McMillan wasn't executing plays to Nohra's liking, and as she ran off the court, she was getting an earful.

"I ripped into her," Nohra said. "It was unacceptable what she was doing."

He took over a young program. Really young. There are six freshmen, and five are starters. There are two sophomores, a seventh-grader and an eighth-grader ... So far, that hasn't mattered. Carrollwood Day was 16-2 entering Friday's game against Berkeley Prep

Nohra, who has been an engineering professor at USF for 30 years

Coach Karim Nohra has led a team of five freshmen starters to the most wins in Carrollwood Day girls basketball history.

This is brilliant!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

23 hours ago, Iota97huthut said:

The NCAA year he had 22 wins, 12 in Big East Playing Off-Campus. The next year he lost one starter (Gus Gilchrest) and went all the way back to 12 wins, 3-15 in conference. And then he repeated 12 and only 3 in AAC.

Great 2011 season, but he could not coach in the Sundome because of the curse - no one can until the curse is lifted.

FIFY

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  298
  • Days Won:  1

former FAU and Florida asst, Matt McCall, is still quietly killing it over at Chattanooga...now at 43-10 (.811), with an NCAA tourney...makes under 240k a year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_McCall_(basketball)

Edited by UofMemphis

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

23 hours ago, Brad said:

We need an Nohra, give him a shot!!! JK

But seriously.  The talent we have isn't horrible.  They need to be developed, coached and supported with ongoing consistent recruiting.

Michael Bibby's dad does a great job out here at Shadow Mountain high school.  He's always coached his son - now at USF.  I thought for sure the dad would have endded up as an asst.  I'd take a chance on a guy like that before hiring a retread or unproven off someone else's hands.

Yes, yes it is. Can't make layups, can't defend, can't shoot from outside. We're bad talent wise. We don't have a point guard other than Bibby (and according to the talking heads on the game yesterday they don't think he has the quickness to be top notch at the 1)  Not sure where the interim coach is going with trying to use Thorpe as the point guard.