• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Charlie Strong's track record vs. The Spread Offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

I believe Texas ranked #95 in defense in a conference where most teams run the spread. I don't believe he had to deal with this type of offense much when he was DC at Florida, and don't remember if he faced the Spread much in his days at Louisville, or how he fared against it. Curious if there are any concerns regarding this, as he will have to deal with that in the AAC....

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

1 minute ago, USFBulls727 said:

I believe Texas ranked #95 in defense in a conference where most teams run the spread. I don't believe he had to deal with this type of offense much when he was DC at Florida, and don't remember if he faced the Spread much in his days at Louisville, or how he fared against it. Curious if there are any concerns regarding this, as he will have to deal with that in the AAC....

I mean. It can't be much worse than what we had this season. There's always concern when a new coach comes in with new philosophies and their track record.

5 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

I mean. It can't be much worse than what we had this season. There's always concern when a new coach comes in with new philosophies and their track record.

Absolutely can only get better, just hope it's good enough to finally win a conference title. Strong is supposed to be pretty hands-on with the defense. I don't recall if he's has much success against that type of offense. He didn't have much success stopping it this past year anyway.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

First thing is to fix the tackling fundamentals, field spacing and the pursuit angles. We'll be 100 yards and 7-10 points a game better just by fixing that.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

I can't attest to what Texas' problems were this past season, but I still feel confident Strong was the best hire out there. We would be asking this question and more if someone else was the coach. I feel "strong" that him and BJM will recognize what didn't work and figure out what our personnel could run. I'm just a little sad the "Bullshark" mantra and signal may be dead. 

2 minutes ago, SANJAY said:

First thing is to fix the tackling fundamentals, field spacing and the pursuit angles. We'll be 100 yards and 7-10 points a game better just by fixing that.

Hopefully this is the case. Although our offense should still be excellent, it's possible that with the loss of Mack and Adams, and some possible tweaking by the new staff, that unit could possibly be taking a half a step back. Defense will have to be quite a bit better if we are to get the Conference Title, and possible undefeated season many in here are expecting. 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215

I fully expect this defense to be as good, if not better than when Tom Allen was here. There's enough talent to believe we should be at minimum an average defense nationally, and in the top 25% in the AAC. At the very least we should expect better tackling and a the return of a get after the QB mentality

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

38 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

That would be about a 20 spot improvement over what USF had this season.

Interesting stat I saw at this website, but teams only averaged 40 yards of penalties AGAINST USF, which was 119 in the nation.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/team/south-florida-bulls/stats

Is it a matter of no home field advantage, or teams just being mentally prepared for USF, or what?

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

Could be a must-execute mentality of the opposing team - USF is going to score so the only hope we have is to execute and score. It's been brought up during the season as probably having a little bit to do with the really poor defensive stats. By no means letting them off the hook, we clearly have big issues, but it's probably a little bit of a factor in there.