• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Length of games

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

Baseball & soccer may be the only sports left when it is all said & done. Mark Cuban said football will be finished in the future. 

Baseball is slowly dying as its pace is not accepted by the younger generations. 50% of viewers are over 50. Unless there is another team who can win the World Series after 108 year absence very few will be watching. And Cuban should stick to his awful shark tank show. 

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/9630782

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

9 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

Baseball & soccer may be the only sports left when it is all said & done. Mark Cuban said football will be finished in the future. 

I would oddly enough be ok with that. And if the NFL keeps losing viewers(Was down what 10% this year?) and creating stupid penalties for things like celebrating (takes a lot of fun out of it) they will eventually go defunct. This CTE thing isn't helping either and it's not going away anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,334
  • Days Won:  43

29 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Baseball is slowly dying as its pace is not accepted by the younger generations. 50% of viewers are over 50. Unless there is another team who can win the World Series after 108 year absence very few will be watching. And Cuban should stick to his awful shark tank show. 

They failed to mention the carribean & South America. They dig both baseball & soccer and they are very passionate fans. Heck, I'm in love with a South American woman and loves her soccer. So there is hope for baseball. Think soccer, baseball, and basketball are safe. The world  loves those three sports. Football has not caught on for some reason in SA. The World Baseball Classic is coming up and it will be yuge. 

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, JimUSFSig said:

There is a solution for cutting the time in a baseball:

1 - Call the ACTUAL strike zone.  Which is supposed to be basically armpits to knees.  Most umpires shrink that down.

2 - Add a "pitch clock" of 15-20 seconds from the time the batter enters the box where the pitcher has to throw to a base or pitch the ball.

3 - Batters can't call time out once in the batters box... and maybe add a 15-20 second "batter clock" when the batter has to get into the batters box to bat.

Sure but baseball doesnt want to just cut time they want scoring up. #1 would reduce scoring and 2,3 would have an unknown effect, but I doubt it would favor one side or the other.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Frankly I am not understanding how the networks are turning a profit on the baseball broadcasts, at 49 even my generation isn't that big on the sport. I'm the generation where football took over as the national past-time. Yet year after year baseball gets these huge network deals, it has to be about to reach the end of the gravy train.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

I just DVR the games and start watching about the time half-time is supposed to start.  I usually catch up at the end.

Best solution of all!

2nd best is to avoid all news until Python posts the video.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

3 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Frankly I am not understanding how the networks are turning a profit on the baseball broadcasts, at 49 even my generation isn't that big on the sport. I'm the generation where football took over as the national past-time. Yet year after year baseball gets these huge network deals, it has to be about to reach the end of the gravy train.

Because of the number of games played I would assume. I know I personally watch every Red Sox game and then still flip around to interesting games the rest of the night most nights. And I'm turning 30 in March so am younger than you. It depends on who you're hanging out with much like anything. Some of us just prefer the finess sports; baseball over football for me personally; I also love boxing yet hate UFC. 

The thing that captures baseball fans is there is so much that goes into every single pitch and every single pitch affords you the opportunity to see something you've never seen before. I can completely understand why people who don't understand all the ins and outs of baseball think it's boring. But while not as popular as it was a decade ago it is far from a dieing sport.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

The DVR helps me get my sports fix without wasting a full day.  USF games are pretty much the only games I'll watch live on tv. The DVR can turn a 4 hour game into about an hr. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,334
  • Days Won:  43

16 minutes ago, Rex Havoc said:

The DVR helps me get my sports fix without wasting a full day.  USF games are pretty much the only games I'll watch live on tv. The DVR can turn a 4 hour game into about an hr. 

Same here. I only watch USF for college sports. Will watch other games if it involves USF's conference which is the AAC. 

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  0

European football is a 90 min game, that's usually over in an hour and 3/4s real time. American football is a 60 min game that sometimes hits 4 hours real time. Ridiculous. The greed in the NCAA and NFL is insatiable. 

I remember watching the NFL in the nineties and don't remember that many games hitting 3 hours. Advertising is out of control these days. Even in-game, the viewer is being bombarded with sponsors of different segments, graphics etc.

Love the sport but so difficult to watch on TV these days unless you have a stake in the game. 

• Upvote 1