• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hard-Working Bartow Has a Plan in Place for Bulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106
  • Days Won:  6

57 minutes ago, TromBull12 said:

The first thing I think of when it comes to military and authority is submission of one's will. When you swallow your pride and allow someone to curse you out for fear of repercussions,  that's some heavy stuff. 

So it all fits under the big umbrella of me not believing a coach should curse out an athlete. Someone in authority has no right to talk to anyone that way no matter what the venue is. 

As a veteran I can tell you I think you may have mischaracterized the dynamic in the military. 

It is literally life or death for you to do exactly what your told and not question.  If you think about it, would you really like to vote on wether to take a hill or storm a beachhead?

The training you receive is to ensure you understand that about orders.  You don't get to decide if the person giving the order is smarter than you (lol, the answer is always **** no!)

You are not swallowing your pride when you take orders, you are doing your duty and the repercussions are not some dude shouting curse words it's, you know, getting yourself or someone else killed. 

I honestly don't remember if they cursed at us but they probably did.  The drill sergeants were the scariest people I'd ever seen before they even opened their mouths.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

59 minutes ago, JTrue said:

They definitely are, unless you believe that the players know more than the coach. I was just thinking how amazing it would be in life to not listen to anyone who hasn't proven themselves to be smarter than me and never worry about the consequences.

When talking about someone knowing more than me, I was talking about the military,  not the coach student relationship. 

As for not listening to peple who don't know more than me on a subject... If I was a doctor,  and you were a  basketball coach, should I take your advice in regards to medicine? That's what I'm saying. 

I listen to authority figures within their respected field. When they step outside of their area of expertise... I don't. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

The way I look at it, I can learn something from anybody, so it's best to treat everyone with the respect due to authority figures until they prove otherwise.

Everybody gets motivated differently. It might require cursing to motivate me, while a logical explanation motivates you, or an appeal to an emotion like patriotism motivates someone else.

The best leaders understand the particular motivational needs of each of their immediate followers.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, charsibb said:

The way I look at it, I can learn something from anybody, so it's best to treat everyone with the respect due to authority figures until they prove otherwise.

Everybody gets motivated differently. It might require cursing to motivate me, while a logical explanation motivates you, or an appeal to an emotion like patriotism motivates someone else.

The best leaders understand the particular motivational needs of each of their immediate followers.

Well then, you crazy #%<|%^##% what the #%*€>~%}# you think you are doing with these #%|!^%# posts of yours? Have a nice day :) 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

52 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Well then, you crazy #%<|%^##% what the #%*€>~%}# you think you are doing with these #%|!^%# posts of yours? Have a nice day :) 

He just said it "might" require that. You might have just demotivated him, so perhaps you should try logically cursing at him about his patriotism...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

26 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

He just said it "might" require that. You might have just demotivated him, so perhaps you should try logically cursing at him about his patriotism...

Mother ******* word block prevents my **** from ******* showing the **** up. 

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I'm going to do something crazy here, and actually talk about the topic.  I know, it may not work, but I'll give it a shot.

I would not mind at all seeing Bartow get a shot.  He strikes me as a hardworking guy, not a prima donna.  I don't care if a guy has worked under Pittino or Coach K, I care if a guy knows what he is doing and if he's going to work hard at success.  Seems like a good guy that simply knows, lives and breathes basketball.  I think we could do far worse, and have.

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

39 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

I'm going to do something crazy here, and actually talk about the topic.  I know, it may not work, but I'll give it a shot.

I would not mind at all seeing Bartow get a shot.  He strikes me as a hardworking guy, not a prima donna.  I don't care if a guy has worked under Pittino or Coach K, I care if a guy knows what he is doing and if he's going to work hard at success.  Seems like a good guy that simply knows, lives and breathes basketball.  I think we could do far worse, and have.

What the heck was that? ↑

You wait two pages and no cursing to get on subject? Well I'll be...

Oh, I agree.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, Who'sYourData? said:

It's cool, we already knew you were crazy anyway.

I like Bartow, but living & breathing basketball doesn't necessarily gain you the respect from players/families as a recruiter or coach. If he can somehow create a winner, then that respect comes quickly and maybe he'd be okay. But normally it would take a while for a relative no-name coach to build a team with enough talent to get enough wins & gain national recognition. Hate to say it, but if we're really going to buck for a P5 spot and play/recruit with the big programs, I think we need to bring a proven name brand. Now, whether or not we can get that...