• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ring Ring is Taggarts Woodie gone yet?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, TromBull12 said:

To pay devil's advocate,  hasn't the Game of football changed dramatically during this time span? If you're in a conference with high powered offenses,  doesn't that skew the numbers a little?

If you're in a conference that's run heavy and your great at stopping the run,  you look like a defensive king. On the other side,  if you're in a conference where no one can run the ball...

In the first half of the season we couldn't stop anyone from running on us. Second half of the season we couldn't stop anyone from passing. 

I honestly believe these numbers are unfairly impacted by sample size and the change in the game. (Plus I'm bored) 

You're just digging for excuses. It's ok to say he's not a good DC. The sun will still come up tomorrow. Publix wings will still be awesome. We still went 11-2.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Tom Allen, 2015.

Navy, Maryland, FSU, Memphis, WKU are  burned into my mind. I feel like the love for him was a mix of three things:

1. His energy. His defense was aggressive whether it was inherently good or not. 

2. He Followed Chuck Bresnhan...

3. The offenses we faced were building and not as potent as they are now. 

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

You're just digging for excuses. It's ok to say he's not a good DC. The sun will still come up tomorrow. Publix wings will still be awesome. We still went 11-2.

I built in a disclaimer saying I was bored lmbo

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  273
  • Days Won:  2

Tom Allen's defense was quite an improvement from the previous year. Yes, it was not perfect, but it looked like he was building something good and they would have been even better this year. I did not get that feeling with Woodie.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,963
  • Days Won:  469

Allen's defense not in best ever at USF.  We just needed someone who appeared to competent. 

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

Just now, tbulls said:

Tom Allen's defense was quite an improvement from the previous year. Yes, it was not perfect, but it looked like he was building something good and they would have been even better this year. I did not get that feeling with Woodie.

I agree on both fronts. My personal belief is that some of that Tom Allen love was media influenced. 

Every game you watched on TV they were talking about "Bull Sharks" and what he did at his previous school. 

I also take issue with the fact that he came in for 1 year and jumped ship sideways. Which put us in the situation we're in. 

I think Woodie had big shoes to fill because of the previously mentioned expectation that may or may not have been realistic.  Plus the fact that it was Woodie's first DC job. I believe it's a mix of inexperience and lack of player discipline/personal accountability. 

How do players run the same defense but forget how to tackle, contain,  hold their gaps, take the right angles? If Allen was such a good coach and teacher,  how do the players unlearn what they were taught?

I believe those same issues existed last year but were masked by energy and positive press. 

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, TromBull12 said:

To pay devil's advocate,  hasn't the Game of football changed dramatically during this time span? If you're in a conference with high powered offenses,  doesn't that skew the numbers a little?

If you're in a conference that's run heavy and your great at stopping the run,  you look like a defensive king. On the other side,  if you're in a conference where no one can run the ball...

In the first half of the season we couldn't stop anyone from running on us. Second half of the season we couldn't stop anyone from passing. 

I honestly believe these numbers are unfairly impacted by sample size and the change in the game. (Plus I'm bored) 

The change in the game would actually play right into what use to be the strength of our defense.  We use to play one of the most dynamic offenses in the league (WVU) for several years and use to shut them down.  We use to struggle with power run teams (Pitt/Rutgers) and shut down the spread/read option teams.  Now we can't shut down anyone (power run or spread teams).  I still think it falls back to the DL.  We've lacked dynamic playmakers there for years.  The only pressure we would get this year is during blitzes.  Hopefully Bruce Hector and/or Love can turn into that next year.  Get consistent pressure from the DL, and the whole defense changes.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 hour ago, TromBull12 said:

I also take issue with the fact that he came in for 1 year and jumped ship sideways. Which put us in the situation we're in. 

He took a job in his hometown at his alma mater (with a huge raise) that directly led to him being HC at that school a year later. You have an issue with that?

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

I have a feeling he was told he was a coach in waiting type situation maybe?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  1

Our defense this year is a symptom of a bad Defensive line and our DBs not playing to their potential maybe because of how bad our defensive line was. There were multiple recruits on the d-line that didn't show up (Ivy being one) that hurt us. If we have 2 more good d-linemen like Calloway and Ivy we are probably right where we were last year maybe a point or 2 worse...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

And they are on sale and my wife brought some home for lunch.  

• Upvote 1