• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tampa Bay Times

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

My 2 cents on this topic:

1. Joey and Jeff do the bare minimum that is required to cover USF sports. If you notice, Joey has not broken a single story regarding the coaching search and coaching hires and fires. Only retweeting the work of other reporters = laziness. 

2. I love the argument that their job is not to "be the cheerleader for the program." While this is true, they seem to go the other way with it and really emphasize the negative. Fennelly is a perfect example of this and, to a lesser extent, Joey Knight as well. 

3. Joey Knight is so **** snarky and rude on Twitter. I don't know if it is just the limit on characters or his lack of character, but heaven forbid anyone have an opinion that is counter to his or ask a question that someone else has yet to find out the answer to. For example, look at his snarky replies regarding King and the assistant coaching situation. Rather than saying something to the effect of, I'm working all angles trying to find out what his plans are. His attitude is essentially, don't bother me with tweets and questions, when I find something out from someone else I will retweet it. 

4. Greg Auman spoiled us. He was and and continues to be a consummate professional. He never went out of his way to try and make people feel inferior or stupid for asking a question. He wasn't a cheerleader for the program, but reported in such a way that you could tell he supported the University and what they were trying to do athletically. He fostered good relationships within the staff and would actually have a scoop here and there. He made more effort than just retweeting the work of others. 

Maybe Joey Knight is an average beat writer and Greg Auman was just far superior, but I think Joey needs a change in attitude or a change in assignment. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Joey Knight with a positive article. Give it a few clicks

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/flowers-enters-17-on-brink-of-bulls-immortality/2308128

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

48 minutes ago, charsibb said:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/flowers-enters-17-on-brink-of-bulls-immortality/2308128

Blind squirrel comes to mind...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

A lot of the negativity toward JK is in the eye of the beholder. I find that most of his teeets and coverage are on the positive/moderate side. The MF articles are columns which are opinionated to get readers to follow. 

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

13 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

A lot of the negativity toward JK is in the eye of the beholder. I find that most of his teeets and coverage are on the positive/moderate side. The MF articles are columns which are opinionated to get readers to follow. 

That doesn't justify what Fennelly does. JK is snarky and snide on Twitter. His coverage usually ranges from neutral to slightly negative. I don't think he is ridiculously negative in his coverage of USF, but it is hard to deny that he does the bare minimum as far as a beat writer is concerned. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, charsibb said:

Pass. It's probably an article about the WVU win in 2007 and he's just getting around to writing something about it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  320
  • Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

He basically just said QF or any G5 guy has no chance at heisman and when a bulls fan questioned it his response is" you just keep thinking that"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,473
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

That doesn't justify what Fennelly does.

Yeah, it really does. That's a columnist's job these days, to push emotional buttons, good and bad, and that's just what he does. He's still a **** but just one doing what he's paid to do.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,738
  • Days Won:  3

On 12/30/2016 at 10:25 AM, brybull1970 said:

Once the Big East fell apart and USF football tanked there was no reason to give the program any ink.

The media isn't going to come back until there is a reason to like beating a ranked P5 team, cracking the top 15 or joining a P5 conference.

The local media won't even jump if we win the AAC. It's Conference USA 2.0 and not worthy of their time.

Yeah, but you're not s'posed to say that. We took a vote and decided that the local media has a moral obligation (based solely on geographic proximity) to parallel TBP in enthusiasm for and green-n-gold paint brushin' and cheerleadin' for the Bulls. It may not be pleasant, but UF & FSU outsell USF in merchandise and more people in the area are interested in their schedule than are interested in ours. Until such time as, if ever, that changes our press coverage will be what it is. If we had a larger die-hard following, it'd be a different story. Just another day at the media office. :popcorn:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,074
  • Days Won:  2

7 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

4. Greg Auman spoiled us. He was and and continues to be a consummate professional. He never went out of his way to try and make people feel inferior or stupid for asking a question. He wasn't a cheerleader for the program, but reported in such a way that you could tell he supported the University and what they were trying to do athletically. He fostered good relationships within the staff and would actually have a scoop here and there. He made more effort than just retweeting the work of others. 

Maybe Joey Knight is an average beat writer and Greg Auman was just far superior, but I think Joey needs a change in attitude or a change in assignment. 

Number 4 is so important.  That is all we ask for.  We don't need a cheerleader, just someone who treats the program fairly and not an afterthought.  I am unsure why the media all think that we want a cheerleader. I remember years ago when I lived in Pasco I could hear a New Orleans station at night.  Mike Ditka talked about a lot of local and national sports including Tulane football.  He certainly wasn't a cheerleader but he knew the players and talked about their games.  You know, fairly and with respect.  I think Ditka has more credibility than all of the media in Tampa put together and that includes the ones who go out of their way to disparage the program. 

• Upvote 1