• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    AAC_Championship_MensBasketball_Print_Full_24_CMYK.png
    American Athletic Conference Tournament

Next: @ UCF, Tue, 3/19, 9 pm, ESPN+

1 2 Final  
    #4 UAB 38 55 93  
    #1 Bulls 30 53 83  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPN2  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Defeated ECU 91-59

Tampa Bay Times

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,412
  • Days Won:  25

43 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

The whole point of a news organization is to make a profit.  People stopped getting the paper delivered, and are resisting online subscriptions.  What exactly do we expect of newspapers, to lose millions of dollars year after year?

They are doing what they need to do to survive.  The good ol' days of newspapers rolling in dough and hiring lots of reporters are over.  And it isn't their fault.  Hundreds of years ago, a town crier would walk around town telling everyone stories of the news.  Those guys jobs went away when the printing press was invented.  

Times change, people must adapt.

For my entire adult life I have subscribed to the LOCAL news paper because along with all the other sections of the paper I wanted to read about the LOCAL sports scene. When the LOCAL news paper decided denigrating, or ignoring USF completely, was in their best interest and "doing what they need to survive" I, and some others, canceled my subscription.

Because the cable people tell me that I have no choice but to rent from them, I canceled that one also. I adapted.

They can all go the way of the town crier.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, gibbsak said:

Nice dig by Harlan!

IMG_20170101_092021.jpg

Just saw that Harlan has blocked me on Twitter. It must have been my coach O comments. :lmao:

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Just saw that Harlan has blocked me on Twitter. It must have been my coach O comments. :lmao:

Hey!  NewEnglandBull, we're already making road trip plans for 2018.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, BDYZR said:

Hey!  NewEnglandBull, we're already making road trip plans for 2018.

Awesome! If you are up for Uconn let me know.   Never to early to plan. 

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

52 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

While some of what you say is true, much of the cause for the decline of the newspapers and news media in general is the modern eras need for sensationalism.

When the news papers and news media began to sensationalize, manipulate and manufacture events and not just report them. Their credibility began to erode and many of the common folk (the news' most ardent supporters), began to lose interest as every day became an assault upon their senses. This was the single most identifiable cause of the decline of news media as all news services have seen a sharp decline in support.

No.  You have it backwards.

The internet began to sentionalize, manipulate and manufacture events.  Anyone with a PC could write a blog and do these things.  People stopped reading reputable sources and began reading news sensationalized to their personal tastes.  People began sitting in echo chambers, and truth and integrity went out the window.

The various news outlets had to dip their toes in the water for survival.   News outlets lost their audiences as they went to more extreme venues.  So news outlets had to become more sensationalist to survive.  People don't want mundane news about the new restaurant opening downtown.  They want to read about Celebrity X or Polictian Y doing something horrible.  If they can't get it from their local newspaper, there are thousands of outlets that will feed it to them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

19 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

For my entire adult life I have subscribed to the LOCAL news paper because along with all the other sections of the paper I wanted to read about the LOCAL sports scene. When the LOCAL news paper decided denigrating, or ignoring USF completely, was in their best interest and "doing what they need to survive" I, and some others, canceled my subscription.

Because the cable people tell me that I have no choice but to rent from them, I canceled that one also. I adapted.

They can all go the way of the town crier.

They were losing millions doing what you (small minority of their subscription base) wanted.  So they followed the money, as any business must do.  

If you love your job, but your company lays you off, do you keep showing up to work for free?  I would imagine you would look for another job.  So must they.

• Downvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,323
  • Content Count:  96,664
  • Days Won:  467

Some businesses create products, services, even markets.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, Who'sYourData? said:

No.  You have it backwards.

The internet began to sentionalize, manipulate and manufacture events.  Anyone with a PC could write a blog and do these things.  People stopped reading reputable sources and began reading news sensationalized to their personal tastes.  People began sitting in echo chambers, and truth and integrity went out the window.

The various news outlets had to dip their toes in the water for survival.   News outlets lost their audiences as they went to more extreme venues.  So news outlets had to become more sensationalist to survive.  People don't want mundane news about the new restaurant opening downtown.  They want to read about Celebrity X or Polictian Y doing something horrible.  If they can't get it from their local newspaper, there are thousands of outlets that will feed it to them.

It's all the Internets fault. OMG!!!!!!! :lmao:

The decline of the newspapers began long before the internet my friend. Check your sources. The only uptick the news has ever had was during broadly sensationalized events or National tragedies.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

45 minutes ago, Brad said:

Some businesses create products, services, even markets.

Zachary!

The local newspapers could spend a little ti,e and effort building up the program, which would help generate interest in the program, which would - in the end - generated more clicks and papers sold as more people wanted to read more about the program.

Two relevant quotes from Steve Jobs

"you can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them"

"people don't know what they want until you show it to them"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Awesome! If you are up for Uconn let me know.   Never to early to plan. 

UMass. Have friends in Temple.