• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Article: Group of 5 officials considering playoff for non-Power 5 teams

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,741
  • Days Won:  3

Not that I'm in favor of a "Me Too!" playoff by any stretch of the imagination. It is - for all practical purposes impossible for a G5 to make it to the playoffs. Gotta remember, there's a world of difference between possible and probable. If you wanna hang by your fingernails on the fading hope that one day, before we pass from this plane of existence, some G5 school will have such a strength of schedule and win by such phenomenal margins in their unbeaten season that they are included in the playoff conversation...have at it. Just don't start playing with real money when you make your bets.

If this playoff idea were to come to fruition it would indeed be the seal of approval on a hard line of demarcation between the haves and have nots. We (G5) would be relegated - for eternity - to the realm also ran. There would be absolutely no  reason for the P5 to maintain the throw-the-dog-a-bone status for that one head-and-shoulders-above-the-rest G5 school that we have today. Put the chairs on the table and mop the floor. Party is over.

Where do these ideas come from? Who are the "growing number of officials". I want to hear the logic in this. Just more whistling past the graveyard. 

Edited by WoolyBully
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

So do G5 teams that are in this playoff turn down the bowl game they would otherwise be playing in? 

And, no one will care or watch. The article says no G5 has ended higher than 13... so how is a "playoff" with some G5 teams who have small fan bases and are ranked 15+ going to help? There are bowl games like FSU vs Michigan that will dominate any G5 ratings... even an unranked WVU vs unranked Miami like last night probably gets way better ratings. 

I dont see the incentive for the G5 or for the networks. 

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,422
  • Days Won:  19

The division has grown...

I have stated before, a G5 team WILL NEVER make the playoffs (in its current capacity)

I am for a compromise deal: expand to 8 teams (5 p5 conf champs; 2 wild card; 1 G5 Access Spot -- using the NY6 bowls)

Edited by Bear
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Expand to 6 team playoff... take each P5 conference champion and the highest ranked G5 team. Top 2 seeds get a round 1 bye. That is what I would like to see. 

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,741
  • Days Won:  3

6 minutes ago, Bear said:

The division has grown...expand to 8 teams (5 conf champs; 2 wild card; 1 G5 Access Spot -- using the NY6 bowls)

Yep, that would be a best case scenario. I think we'll see a six/eight team playoff heap many moons before we see a "G5 ME TOO" playoff. 

I wanna see a list, and hear from, this alleged growing number of officials. I wanna see who's got the guts to tout the merits of a second tier playoff. 

Edited by WoolyBully
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

16 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Expand to 6 team playoff... take each P5 conference champion and the highest ranked G5 team. Top 2 seeds get a round 1 bye. That is what I would like to see. 

I would love to see that too. It would be the best-case scenario for us, but it doesn't benefit the current P5 conferences or their teams so it likely won't happen.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 hour ago, NCBull said:

I don't know why he says it's a flat out lie a G5 team could make the playoffs.  Unlikely, sure.  Impossible, no.  Making a G5 playoff would do that, though.

Ok, the odds are one in ten million.  Better?

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867

1 minute ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Ok, the odds are one in ten million.  Better?

giphy.gif

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318

29 minutes ago, Bear said:

The division has grown...

I have stated before, a G5 team WILL NEVER make the playoffs (in its current capacity)

I am for a compromise deal: expand to 8 teams (5 p5 conf champs; 2 wild card; 1 G5 Access Spot -- using the NY6 bowls)

Everyone on the outside would take that deal. The problem is no way the B1G or SEC want any part of that.

If the playoffs expand its to make sure a PSU of 2016 isnt left out in the future, not to include Western Michigan and their 13-0 run over the land of nobodies.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, NAM37 said:

I would love to see that too. It would be the best-case scenario for us, but it doesn't benefit the current P5 conferences or their teams so it likely won't happen.

Well every conference would be represented, and the networks would get an additional 2 playoff games to sell to advertisers. I think everybody wins.