• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No, Charlie. Do not slow offense down!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,009
  • Days Won:  38

1 hour ago, DELdaBull said:

Our defense was terrible. Make it better. Try to make our offense better. Try to make our special teams better. 

uo204-6b59cb4e-d32c-4bb7-b16f-f85ea4db10

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

5 hours ago, Macmaestro said:

About slowing down the offense: I graduated from USF long before it had a football team. So I adopted my wife's team, Texas Tech, instead and go to all their games. Tech has a fabulous offense, the best that there is, BUT they are now slowing down. The reason is that while a lightening quick offense is a lot of fun to watch, it gives the defense no time to rest. Tech has begun, slowly, to run the ball more in order to allow their defense, ranked 128th, to rest. As a consequence the defense is becoming more effective.  Speed of the offense is not the only reason Tech's defense is horrible, but it is a big factor. Coach Strong, coming from the Big 12, is aware of all this.  Big 12 coaches guide fabulous offenses but do not win national championships.  They are evolving to have more effective defenses and slowing the offense just a bit is a key part of that. I was present in Lubbock when Tech lost to Oklahoma 66 to 59.  A famous game.  Neither team could stop the other. That is what Coach Strong knows.  So, while USF has a very fine offense, there must be balance or the defense will be on the field too long each game.  Take it from a Tech fan.

didn't work in the big 12. that's why they forced him to go to spread offense in his last year at Texas.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

2 hours ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Easiest way to get the D rest is for them to stop the other team and get 3 and outs.

I know CCS says those days are over but our problems aren't from being gassed. The other teams learned to win the coin flip, receive and march down the field on the opening series and score. Then do it again and again. The fatigue of the defense was a self-inflicted injury.

absolutely. defense can rest if they get off the field in 3 plays. our offense had nothing to do with them giving up 15 play 90 yards drives. how about our defense plays so effectively that they don't give our offense a chance to rest.

the fact that he is a defensive minded coach had me worried about this hire. they are more concerned with field position and defending their end zone than they are with attacking and scoring. more conservative approach. they also play close games.

our program is not built that way. total 180 in philosophy. just like we weren't built to be a pro-style when Taggart came in.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

The funny thing is we aren't going to know anything until CCS hires a staff or makes a statement about his scheme changes until the Spring. It's gonna really get old if we jump to conclusions about what he meant at the press conference or other interviews for the next three months.

He isn't going to completely dismantle the offense. He isn't going to force a square peg into a circle hole; not while Harlan is around. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

2 hours ago, Ionbull said:

The funny thing is we aren't going to know anything until CCS hires a staff or makes a statement about his scheme changes until the Spring. It's gonna really get old if we jump to conclusions about what he meant at the press conference or other interviews for the next three months.

He isn't going to completely dismantle the offense. He isn't going to force a square peg into a circle hole; not while Harlan is around. 

Say What?

That's all we do around here is jump to conclusions - usually painful ones!

Doh!

Cat-Jumps-Off-Car-in-Snow-Fail.gif

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

11 hours ago, charsibb said:

Say What?

That's all we do around here is jump to conclusions - usually painful ones!

Doh!

Cat-Jumps-Off-Car-in-Snow-Fail.gif

That's a fair point, what was I thinking this is TBP!

-Strong will force QF into a pocket passer!!!

-He will run out of the i-form and two TE sets! 

-He will play conservative ball and everyone is gonna transfer! 

Re-watching the season's games to get ready for the bowl game, and wanted to post one of them here

FF to the 27:30 mark, and here's a GREAT example of scoring too quick. Two plays, 20 seconds, not including the kickoff return.

And it's not just the speed of the players, but of the snap as well. On Mack's run, you can see the Towson players still not ready, still trying to figure out where to go and who to cover/block. Their lack of readiness was a key element of the TD. I REALLY don't want to lose this speed-related competitive advantage

https://youtu.be/OJZOexJqLFk?t=1650

2 hours ago, charsibb said:

Re-watching the season's games to get ready for the bowl game, and wanted to post one of them here

FF to the 27:30 mark, and here's a GREAT example of scoring too quick. Two plays, 20 seconds, not including the kickoff return.

And it's not just the speed of the players, but of the snap as well. On Mack's run, you can see the Towson players still not ready, still trying to figure out where to go and who to cover/block. Their lack of readiness was a key element of the TD. I REALLY don't want to lose this speed-related competitive advantage

https://youtu.be/OJZOexJqLFk?t=1650

Another one, at the 1:08:00 mark. Gotta love that quick-strike Gulf Coast Offense!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/OJZOexJqLFk?t=4081

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Going to enjoy the bowl game and the next few days ahead before worrying about next year. 

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

CCS is going to screw up our advantage on offense when he should be worried about defense. Watch.