• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Joel Miller's Father Speaks Out on CJL

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

11 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

It was an accident.  As charisbb refers to, when the first copy was released the names were blacked out but the name itself was still there.  With PDF editing software all you had to do was change the formatting to remove the black foreground and the names became visible.  Or something like that, I don't remember the exact details.  They corrected it with a copy where the names were properly redacted, but it was too late since someone had already downloaded it.

I would guess someone got in trouble but it was handled internally.  Really an easy mistake to make at the time.  Releasing information electronically was oddly still rather new in the grand scheme of things.

Catching up here and have to add...

It was an accident on USF's behalf on the document.  When Brett could see the names through the means you describe, he published them.  

Later, his story revealing all the names of the players was removed.  He double crossed the double crossers.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  101
  • Days Won:  8

13 minutes ago, Brad said:

Intimidation at its finest, even better than the made up line of Jim Leavitt saying he was "the most powerful man in the building".  Still stinks of a set up, wouldn't you agree?

And Matt, if you would have spoke up, it would have meant so much.  You had far more credibility to the program than Joel, Colby, or Brett.

Wish I would have now being a little older and wiser. 

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

Brett McMurphy did.

It was all a blur.  That was unethical.  I could maybe see a reporter explaining that the document was flawed, but there was no reason to actually leak the names.  Most people wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to recover the names.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  101
  • Days Won:  8

And yes Brad, only one person would have heard the most powerful man comment and that would be Joel, I still to this day can not picture JL saying that, but if it were true it's disappointing. 

11 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

Yes, I thought MG was trying to oust Leavitt according to rumor.

I think that was pretty widespread belief...that's why I say he's a hero tonight.  If he can speak some truth, it would go a long way towards changing the impression some have of him. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Catching up here and have to add...

It was an accident on USF's behalf on the document.  When Brett could see the names through the means you describe, he published them.  

Later, his story revealing all the names of the players was removed.  He double crossed the double crossers.  

I was kind of hesitant to lay blame, and ultimately it was on USF.  But it's probably even money it was someone in the attorney's office that did the redaction.  Not that it really matters, because it was clearly an accidental misunderstanding of techology.

2 minutes ago, mgrothe8 said:

And yes Brad, only one person would have heard the most powerful man comment and that would be Joel, I still to this day can not picture JL saying that, but if it were true it's disappointing. 

The reality is that he probably said something because he was angry or irritated, but not those exact words.  The truth almost always lies somewhere in between.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, mgrothe8 said:

What would you say?

7 minutes ago, mgrothe8 said:

Would have perhaps clarified some things, but I wouldn't beat myself up about it.  Even if you had been standing right next to them when it happened, there were plenty of other factors at play.  

Firings are rarely about one specific incident, unless it is something horrific.  It's either an excuse to get rid of who you already want to get rid of, or it is an accumulation of many different "incidents".  There could have been a whole slew of arguments between Leavitt and others in administration/boosters/whoever that you had no idea ever occurred.

9 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

It was all a blur.  That was unethical.  I could maybe see a reporter explaining that the document was flawed, but there was no reason to actually leak the names.  Most people wouldn't go through the trouble of trying to recover the names.

Brett did and USF took no action, other than (I guess) to ask FanHouse, or whatever, to take it down.  Wouldn't that make you question the issue?  They felt they had no further action necesary when the reporter exposed all their witnesses.