• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Joel Miller's Father Speaks Out on CJL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

So the guy who stole a ladies purse is who we should get advice from?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He should go away and live his life. his 15 minutes are up. 

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,139
  • Days Won:  2

Save the clicks ....

The guy can coach.

Always could.

That was never the question, was it?

If you have watched any Colorado football on TV this season, you might have caught a glimpse of the team's defensive coordinator. I saw him against Michigan. He was hopping up and down, and drenched with sweat. It was the first quarter.

Same old Jim Leavitt.

Nearly seven years after he was fired by USF after an investigation found that he'd struck a player and then interfered with the investigation, Leavitt, USF's former master builder, is on his game.

In his second season in Boulder, Leavitt's defense, ranked 13th in the nation, has made a 10-game winner out of Colorado, which had won just 10 games over its previous three seasons. Tonight, the ninth-ranked Buffaloes face No. 4 Washington in the Pac-12 Championship Game. Jim Leavitt could end up in the Rose Bowl. He has already been to a Super Bowl.

Not only that, but Leavitt is being talked about as a possible head coach again. Florida Atlantic is rumored to be interested. Jim Leavitt back in Florida.

"He deserves a lot of credit," said Matt Grothe, who starred at quarterback for Leavitt, including on the 2007 team that climbed to No. 2 in the county. "Everybody would be shocked if he wasn't a head coach somewhere after what he has done. The past is the past. I'm just glad it worked out for him."

Then there's Paul Miller of Tampa.

"Oh, my God," Miller said over in the phone. "A head coach again?"

Miller is the father of Joel Miller, the player Leavitt was accused of attacking at halftime of USF's game with Louisville in 2009. Paul Miller still has a problem with Leavitt coaching anywhere. I have some problems with it myself.

"It's not good for college football," Miller said. "It's not good for people in general. Something is going to happen. I don't know what. I don't know if he'll ever lay hands on another football player. But something will happen. He bullies kids. He bullies everyone. He's a bully."

There's never going to be one answer when it comes to Jim Leavitt.

All voices need to be heard. Still.

Leavitt built USF from the ground up, up from trailers into that No. 2 ranking in 2007. He never closed the deal with a conference championship, but he made something from nothing.

The guy had passion. Coaches and players still laugh at the memory of blood running down Leavitt's nose after him head-butting players' helmets to fire them up. Grothe remembers Leavitt racing across the practice fields and doing a head-first baseball slide into a huddle. "I just want to show you I'll fight for every yard," Leavitt shouted.

He also destroyed his 13-year USF career. I know accounts vary, but I'll always believe Leavitt struck Joel Miller. I'll always believe Leavitt tried to obstruct the investigation, probably the biggest reason he was fired. And he should have been fired.

He had become a 600-pound gorilla on that campus. He had to go, though it should be noted that a year after Leavitt was fired, USF reached a $2.75 million settlement with Leavitt to resolve the wrongful termination lawsuit he filed.

Leavitt went to the NFL and did a good job coaching linebackers for Jim Harbaugh and the San Francisco 49ers, who made a Super Bowl (the Pac-12 Championship Game is being played at the 49ers' stadium). Now he has led the Colorado resurgence.

I reached out to Leavitt. He didn't reach back. Colorado's sports information people, one of the best crews going, tried its best, but Leavitt said he was slammed prepping for Washington. One focused guy. Sounds familiar.

Jim Leavitt has turned a football team around. He might get an award. He might get a head coaching job again, maybe even in Florida.

A lot of people think enough time has passed.

I'm not so sure.

But one thing I know for certain.

The guy can coach.

Always could.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,240
  • Days Won:  255

Poor snowflake 

• Topic Count:  2,324
  • Content Count:  21,234
  • Days Won:  10

Did he not have his helmet on?  

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Days Won:  0

I believe the obstruction part and Judy was justified in firing for that. However lke Rizman said wasnt Joel's helmet on when the slap occurred?: Jim loved his players. I would never mistake him for Bobby Knight.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Why does he always write articles with short one sentence paragraphs? 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

3 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

I believe the obstruction part and Judy was justified in firing for that. However lke Rizman said wasnt Joel's helmet on when the slap occurred?: Jim loved his players. I would never mistake him for Bobby Knight.

No, his helmet was not on when the alleged slap occurred.  They were in the locker room at halftime, not sure why any player would have their helmet on.

I believe the slap occurred, but it was overblown.  The problem was obviously Leavitt's denial of the incident and his attempted cover up, along with retaliation against the kids speaking out "against" him.  If you are in a position of authority, you simply can't do that and keep your job.  It didn't help that many of the boosters were tired of his act even before the story became news.

However, I am curious, does anyone here NOT believe he was trying to influence the investigation?

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

I think he can do better than the head coach of FAU.  If it was me I would hold out for a better option.  Plus who knows if FAU can offer him enough money. 

• Upvote 1