• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Where are the baseball rules guys?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

So I was watching the game this afternoon between the Rangers and Jays.  Believe it was in the 7th but it really doesn't matter.  A Ranger hits a line drive that goes off the glove of the 1st baseman (left handed hitter) and into the corner for a double.  One of the announcers says that if he doesn't touch that ball it would have gone foul.  Watching the replay it appeared that the ball went off his glove in foul territory.  Wouldn't that make it a foul ball?  None of them mentioned it as a possibility.  If it were a pop fly behind 1st base and the first baseman dropped it, the umpire would rule whether he felt the ball was fair or foul when touched, not where it landed. Or am I mistaken?  

I know some of you guys are good with the rules so would appreciate hearing from you.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Pretty sure you're correct. In co-ed slow-pitch if you try to catch a ball in foul territory and make it, it's an out. Miss and it's a foul ball. No distinction between pop and line drive.

The only thing I can think of is that it may also depend on the defender's feet in MLB. If the feet are out of play, it's a foul, but if the feet are in play, perhaps that makes it a fair ball?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, charsibb said:

Pretty sure you're correct. In co-ed slow-pitch if you try to catch a ball in foul territory and make it, it's an out. Miss and it's a foul ball. No distinction between pop and line drive.

The only thing I can think of is that it may also depend on the defender's feet in MLB. If the feet are out of play, it's a foul, but if the feet are in play, perhaps that makes it a fair ball?

Nah. It's all the ball. If you hook it around the bag and the player dives into foul territory and tips it, it's foul. Feet/body don't matter. It's not a reviewable play to ask if the ball was in fair territory, totally a judgement call on where it was when the player made contact. If he touches it and the ump says it was in fair territory when he did, its a fair ball. Think of it like a slow roller that's going foul, if the guy touches it inside the line, regardless of where its going, its a fair ball.

Edited by JTrue