• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

US News Ranking

TExpress

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

IIRC, one of the things that always hurts us in these rankings is the large number of non-traditional students we have (CC transfers, more than 4 years to graduate, over traditional age, etc)

IMO, these kinds of students are representative of how great the school is, but they hold us back in conventional rankings (including AAU).

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

On September 16, 2016 at 5:20 PM, Bausfkid said:

Take a look at Med School rankings.  Last time I looked we were right around 100.  Again, much improved, but hardly an elite school. 

Do a bit of research.  It's easily found.

Go Bulls!

#63...you were right, very easily found. Ahead of a handful of AAU schools.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,418
  • Days Won:  19

Judy has done a great job.

She is still over paid.

We need to improve graduation rates

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

USNWR is some of the most BS ranking I've ever seen in any field. In almost every non-subjective metric we do well but we don't grade as well as many of our peers in the USNWR.

Did anyone not see the AAU / Big 12 comparision slide from thedailystampede?

I'd spend more brain power trying to understand their "algorithm" for ranking since I believe it's public, but I also believe it's purposefully skewed to help those it believes should be top ranked. It's just applying metrics in a way to justify what they had pre-determined.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 4:17 PM, Bear said:

We need to improve graduation rates

This is very, very true.

• Upvote 2

Disagree about grad rates.

It's a legacy statistic reflecting the elitism of rural land-grant 4-year institutions.

personally, I think we should be very proud of the number of people who take 5-10 years to get through college while holding down jobs, family, etc.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

On 9/23/2016 at 2:37 PM, charsibb said:

Disagree about grad rates.

It's a legacy statistic reflecting the elitism of rural land-grant 4-year institutions.

personally, I think we should be very proud of the number of people who take 5-10 years to get through college while holding down jobs, family, etc.

The challenge is that public universities must also serve the broader folks - sense they are largely funded by tax revenue. As such a student sitting in a 4 year program for 10 years is taking up a valuable resource that could have otherwise been used to graduate 2.5 more focused students. 

Also didn't they differentiate from part-time students who would fall more likely into your example of a family person working and taking classes at night?

10 hours ago, USF_Grouper said:

The challenge is that public universities must also serve the broader folks - sense they are largely funded by tax revenue. As such a student sitting in a 4 year program for 10 years is taking up a valuable resource that could have otherwise been used to graduate 2.5 more focused students. 

Also didn't they differentiate from part-time students who would fall more likely into your example of a family person working and taking classes at night?

Vast majority of AAU schools are public, and no, they don't differentiate - schools that cater to longer learners (mostly urban) are penalized compared to schools (mostly rural or land-grant) that move most of their students through in 4-years.

Highly doubt that a student taking 10 years to graduate uses a materially larger share of school resources, especially since most of them are likely only on campus for class and gone.