• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kudos to Sheffield

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

but HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING ELSE....  after he threw the ball back in, he got in his face, so what??  Francona got in the face of the ump several times last night.....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Retaliation = wrong = fine or suspension...

whether you would do that or not doesn't matter... it isn't right.

ok.... say i come to your job this afternoon, you knock something off your desk and when you go to pick it up i hit you in the face.....  you're not going to do anything?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

ok dont really feel like readin all the crap above, but it was clear the fan had no intention of going for the ball, his arm would have to of been 6ft long to reach the ball from his position.  He also clearly makes a upward swinging movement with his hand right in sheffield's face.  it looked like a move you would use to knock someone's hat off, but instead he hit him in the face.  Sheffield had every right to be pissed.  if someone hits me in the face, im going to retaliate as well, it's pretty simple

for anyone to claim sheffield was in the wrong in this situation is asinine

Do well in law school my friend...your argument is lacking, but until you read all the preceding posts, it doesn't make sense to jump in and call others that don't agree with you assinine.

ok.... say i come to your job this afternoon, you knock something off your desk and when you go to pick it up i hit you in the face.....  you're not going to do anything?

Not relevant.

• Topic Count:  537
  • Content Count:  2,718

"Onto" the field, and an arm in the realm of play are two different things...Fans that make their way onto the field are usually tackled and cuffed.  Fans that insert an arm or a finger into the realm or "into" the field of play do not typically get tackled and cuffed.

People that hit other people at a game are usually cuffed also........futhermore, would you say it is OK when a Yankee fan clocks Manny in the head with a bat from the stands? ........

"well he wasn't on the field so it was OK"

And find yourself a good lawsuit as well.

Here we find common ground.......I don't condone Sheff's reaction......and suspect MLB will fine/suspend him for his actions.......If this were a hockey game the fan should get a major while sheff gets a minor penalty......

What I have said is that the players represent the organization.  That simple LK, nothing more.

Not true what you said was......

Further reinforces my dislike for the Yankess and and new found admiration for the Sox and their fans.

Yankee vs. Yankess......that simple.....

The teller at my bank represents my bank - hence we don;t scuffle over an inadvertent error in my deposit processing.

When was the last time your teller took a swipe at you?

Do well in law school my friend...your argument is lacking, but until you read all the preceding posts, it doesn't make sense to jump in and call others that don't agree with you assinine.

i really didnt put much thought into it, but what's lacking?  I just read through enough of it to realize that people were trying to blame Sheffield for this and that was enough

and how is that analogy not relevant?  The fan came to Sheffield's job and hit him while sheffield was performing a normal task of the job

That's the point LK, my teller doesn't take a swipe at me, nor does whe inadvertently invade my personal space.  She realizes she has an image to uphold.  Sheffield should realize the same.  The onus should be on the professional, as it is in most lines of business.

The rest of your stuff would take to long to quote and repsond to, so I'll sum it up.

A bat to the head is different...you see guys, this is the problem.  It's a matter of degree.  The action looked harmless to many.  Ardent Shef supporters compare it to a bat to the head.  I doubt Sheffield suffered any damages from the alleged inadvertent graze, he fielded the ball, for crying out loud.  That indicates little efffect from the alleged graze.

My quote about Shef representing Yankees was from another post...I did not say he represented fans.  I said I have a new admiration for the Boston fans, because in this case, I think they showed great control (greater than Sheffield).  Many others would have taken on Sheffield's baiting.  Sheffield was the one that had to be restrained.

Sheffield was the one that had to be restrained.

because he was the only person hit in the face   ::)

and how is that analogy not relevant?  The fan came to Sheffield's job and hit him while sheffield was performing a normal task of the job

Well first, there is the whole access by paid admission issue to deal with.  MLB and Sox sell tickets to the event and are responsbile for the secuirty - not Gary Sheffield or the fans.  

Secondly, if I could sell admission to my place of work (and profit from it), and I reached down to pick up a piece of paper and one of the "work attendees ro fans" reached to grab it at the same time and startled me, or grazed me, or even lightly struck me (to make happy you people that believe Sheffield was truly hit), I'd likely not take a punch at them.  Instead, I would do my job of securing the paper, getting it to the copier and mailing out the multi-million dollar contract to my customer.  I would not risk that by engaging in a brawl with someone that does not have my best interests in mind.  Why miss out on my business deal because someone with less skin in the game either accidentally or purposely interfered with my job?  Maybe it's a maturiy issue, most MLB players do not need to deal with that burden in their playing days.

because he was the only person hit in the face   ::)

Define "hit" and where is the video that proves that?  You're thinking like an accident lawyer already - come on...