• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Lets discuss.  Appropriate, not appropriate?  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

He sounds like an asswipe. Who are these tweets supposed to be directed towards? I wouldn't say they're offensive, but it's not like black parents are reading his tweets and a light bulb is going off.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

Lets discuss.  Appropriate, not appropriate?  

Oh Jesus Christ its it's fine

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

It's fine. Anyway here is what should be discussed: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/bulls-land-commitments-in-triplicate/2287057

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

There's some relational things with it, so sure some parents would consider that in helping their boy make a decision. But honestly, a white dude saying "if I was a <insert minority>" is like saying "I'm not <minority>, but I know what they need and this is it."

It's not really offensive so much as it's like he's trying to sell something to people he can't hope to understand. Reads wrong.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,328
  • Content Count:  21,279
  • Days Won:  10

Role models are good.  Glad we have Coach T, he is a heck of a guy. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Glad he could make USF football fun to watch again!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,680
  • Days Won:  8

"Talented and black coaching staff" 

Race of the staff is definatley playing a role. Let's be real for a moment, in today's society it is a fact that many black youths have very few good black role models to look to. Sure there are role models of other races but they cannot relate as well. I read a stat recently that the ratio of black men to women is 6 or 7 males per 10 females due to incarceration and violence. Consider how many of the remaining are good husband material the prospects for black females, and for young black males to have good black role models, is grim. 

This is meant to be a compliment to Taggart and his staff. I believe it is true for all races that people can better relate to others of their own race, and it's not due to racism or hate, just life experience. 

Black youths may be better served by black role models to show they can overcome any barriers they perceive as being impacted by race. It builds their confidence if other black men succeed; they will be more confident they can succeed too. If they look at a white successful person they may believe they couldn't replicate that success because they are black and some racial bias would hold them back. 

I don't belive it's true in today's society that racial bias holds anyone back, but I don't doubt black youths may have that perception. It's just reality that a black role model may help some black youths build more confidence. 

Now the coach has to be able to coach, hiring a black coach because he can relate to black players should be way low on the list of reasons for hiring, but I can see players and parents giving it some weight depending on their individual life experience and background which is different for everyone.

Edited by Gismo
  • Upvote 1