• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We have lost a friend, member and Bulls Fan

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

This was posted in the Tampa Bay and General Sports forum but I think this would be the appropriate spot for it ...

4 hours ago, MAwmillerSister said:

I'm Mark Awmiller's sister...and his 'Irish Twin', (we were only 11 months apart). since he passed away-I Google him periodically. He was so well liked, respected and missed that it warms my heart to see how many people saw the great person he was, like the USF alums.

This is an important message as well as a happy story, below. Here's the important message: Mark was only 55 when he passed away June 14, 2016, from Colon Cancer. Please, if you are 45, at least get a screening kit...if you are 50, get a colonoscopy...your insurance will pay for it, probably with a small copay. It may SAVE YOUR LIFE. Cancer is an ugly, ugly and painful way to die. When you die that young, your parents are likely still alive. There is nothing like being with a Mother who is watching her child die. That scene is excruciating and I've had two brothers die...don't do this to your Mother, spouse or children. 

Now the happy story:

I know most of you saw the highly intelligent and opinionated Mark. I hope you were able to get to know the bright, charming, selfless, and loving brother he was. I never found myself in a position needing his help; however, let me tell you a story that will warm your heart.

Mark tried to fight the disease by going to chemo treatments as often, as prescribed. While there, he met a woman receiving treatments and on the same schedule as he was. He found out as they talked over the weeks that she had three children and was cleaning homes as her occupation. He also noticed that she took the bus to and fromthe treatments.

One day Mark bought a used car for about $5k,had it checked out, replaced the tires and whatever other items needed to be done to make it as nice and safe for her and her three children, for whatever time she had left.  He did not want her to feel 'funny' at their appointments, so he took the car to the Salvation Army and had them give it to her as some sort of prize they said she had won.

I miss him terribly and I know who he was...I also like telling that story...I'm sure many USF alumni give back to their communities and I thought you might want to know he did, as well.

Thank you for listening and more importantly, getting your screenings and colonoscopies.

Sheryl-Mark Awmiller's sister

• Upvote 4

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  337
  • Days Won:  0

R.I.P Mark. I wish all the best for his friends and family. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Nice story, better message, and thanks for sharing. RIP

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

:GoBulls: Until Valhalla 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

I try not to post is such threads however, I would like to impart this wish; The hardest part of losing a loved one isn't their absence. There are many things throughout the day that can occupy your mind and distract you from your thoughts. It is when you're alone at night lying in the dark that the memories and emotions come streaming back. It is then that I wish you all, "Fond memories and Sweet Dreams."

It is the living that suffer ones passing. It is my belief that those whom have departed have moved beyond sorrow. It is with that in mind that I post here today. So when the night comes I would once again wish you all, "Fond Memories and Sweet Dreams."

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

28 minutes ago, Skingraft said:

:GoBulls: Until Valhalla 

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

53 minutes ago, footnfan1 said:

I decided at 53, to get a colonoscopy. No real issues, my wife then said, if you can do it, so can I so at 52, she went in, days after I did.

Massive tumor, stage 3 cancer. Chemo Port in within days, 24/7 chemo, daily radiation, for almost a year , then surgery .I'll spare you the details, but she beat it. Not without ongoing issues, but she is 5 years post  diagnosis, cancer free. I almost lost her, no symptoms. They caught it at the last "minute".

Get tested. Colon cancer is almost totally  avoidable. The worst part is not the procedure, but the prep. Just do it.

It would have been an honor to shake Marks hand. I mourn for his loved ones. RIP young man.

Thanks for sharing, foot...so glad your wife is cancer-free.

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  3,462
  • Days Won:  6

5 minutes ago, NCBull said:

Thanks for sharing, foot...so glad your wife is cancer-free.

Thank you NC, so am I. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

2 hours ago, footnfan1 said:

I decided at 53, to get a colonoscopy. No real issues, my wife then said, if you can do it, so can I so at 52, she went in, days after I did.

Massive tumor, stage 3 cancer. Chemo Port in within days, 24/7 chemo, daily radiation, for almost a year , then surgery .I'll spare you the details, but she beat it. Not without ongoing issues, but she is 5 years post  diagnosis, cancer free. I almost lost her, no symptoms. They caught it at the last "minute".

Get tested. Colon cancer is almost totally  avoidable. The worst part is not the procedure, but the prep. Just do it.

It would have been an honor to shake Marks hand. I mourn for his loved ones. RIP young man.

When Mark passed, that was the final prod.  I saw him at the Miami Bowl for the last time, and he looked tired.  Still had that great sense of humor, but clearly weary of the fight...but nothing could stop him from watching first hand our first bowl game in forever.

Shortly after his passing, at 50 years old,  I got the colo (and you're right, the procedure is nothing. The prep isn't fun, but not as bad as some say).  No real issues, but also triggered my need for an endoscopy (which revealed a few other issues, now since under control).

Mark was an amazing fan, but an even better father, husband & friend, who left a positive impact on so many.  I think of you often, Bulls brother.  Rest in Peace.

• Upvote 3