• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We Have Better Players Now?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

Combining a few threads here, most notably the most recent Taggart Article.

We will know the answer very soon, thank God football arrives soon.  The off season has been brutal.  

I read a ton, on this forum and others, articles and other sources, about how we have much better athletes and players now that Taggart is going into year three; however, my question has been consistent; what measure are we using for this?

First, I have come around that CWT is a better recruiter than CSH simply because our average rated athlete has remained static even though we are no longer in a power conference and our performance has been awful.  Props to Taggart for at least maintaining and maybe ever so slightly increasing our recruiting rankings form the days of CSH  This dove tails into my next point.

What makes these new athletes better than our old athletes?  

1.  Our record has not improved from the days of CSH.

2.  Recruiting rankings/star level/whatever measure you want to use for rating high school talent has not improved since CSH, maybe a little, but nothing program changing.

3.  CWT saying they are better does not make them better, glorifying CWT's ability to bring in virtually the same level of talent that CSH did does not make them better.

4.  Saying that the cupboard is no longer empty does not make them better.

5.  Blaming CWT's ability to game plan and develop players does not make them better.

6.  Being ranked at the bottom of the FBS in key factors does not make them better.

7.  Saying that we had the "wrong" system for our players does not make them better.

We will find out soon enough but we are simply riding on on hope here.  Objectively, I cannot find a tangible piece of evidence to show that these awesome athletes that Taggart has brought in are better than what we have had in years past.

I look at other schools around our conference and say, wow, we out recruited Memphis, Cincy, UCF, and everyone else every year since 2007 and they don't talk about empty cupboards, they just win conference championships and go to bowl games.

We have been duped into believing that sub-par management has had something to do with sub-par talent while the rest of our conference deals with a lower talent level than we do and wins. 

It is bowl game or bust this year. I am 100% done hearing CWT blame college kids and previous coaches for his teams inability to perform.  

Now lets go beat FAMU by 40 and shock the world with an upset of FSU!

Edited by ArmyBull
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

You're over thinking this and over looking the most important position on the field. Taggart has not had even average QB play, while his predecessors had the benefit of having two of the most prolific QBs in Big East and certainly USF history. I don't think its more complicated than that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Can we just start the season

• Upvote 1

You're over thinking this and over looking the most important position on the field. Taggart has not had even average QB play, while his predecessors had the benefit of having two of the most prolific QBs in Big East and certainly USF history. I don't think its more complicated than that.

I agree with that, for the most part.  As far as over thinking; perhaps, but my questions and thoughts were more responses to various excuses posed through the various off seasons (and during season).  Again though, the QB position has certainly played the largest role in our issues since BJ left.  But also in that lies another question, CWT has had several QBs go in an out of his system, QBs that he recruited and or convinced to transfer.  So I think the answer still goes back to CWT, and here we are making excuses for him again.  I am excited about the possibilities that Flowers brings.  Not excited that it appears that Bench and Flowers will be starting this year, per CWT comments.  This is CWTs year to bring it all together.  

Can we just start the season

I hear ya, and I admit, my post falls in the category of "middle of off season rant".  Excited for football to start.   

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

cwt needed to bring qbs with him when he took the job

cwt needed to recruit qbs once he had the job

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Or Taggart's predecessors had better QB play because they could coach better and didn't have an insanely complicated offense.

I don't think it is more complicated than that.

• Upvote 1

Flowers and Woulard? Pretty solid twosome

Based on what? Star rating?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Flowers and Woulard? Pretty solid twosome

Based on what? Star rating?

I think he probably used total number of college TD passes thrown by the two of them.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Or Taggart's predecessors had better QB play because they could coach better and didn't have an insanely complicated offense.

I don't think it is more complicated than that.

So just anyone could have put up the total offense numbers that grothe and Daniels did? Bobby couldn't. Floyd couldn't handle a snap, mike white was a statue and we have a small sample of Bench and Flowers. I agree some of it is the system but not just anyone puts up 10000 yds in total offense over a career. We were lucky enough to have 2 guys capable of doing that. Edited by George Jenkins