• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Zebold: USF's Backs Ready to Roll in Up-Tempo Offense

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  96,971
  • Days Won:  469

USF's Backs Ready to Roll in Up-Tempo Offense

TOM ZEBOLD

USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, AUG. 28, 2015 – The Bulls are a week away from unleashing their three-headed beast at running back and the talent is ready to roll.

Weighing in at 206 pounds, Marlon Mack is better equipped to carry the load as the feature back after leading the American Athletic Conference with 1,041 rushing yards last season.

The new up-tempo offense also provides other backs with plenty of opportunities to make plays and Mack said there is no drop-off behind him. Sophomore D’Ernest Johnson has trimmed down to 205 pounds to keep up with the Bulls’ fast pace after becoming USF’s second-leading rusher last season. USF also has junior Darius Tice, declared the MVP of the spring by Taggart, after finishing third on the team in rushing in 2014.

“When I come out, those guys come in and replace me like I never left. That’s a good thing,” said Mack, who posted four 100-yard rushing games last season with five TD runs of 54 yards or longer.

Making things even more difficult for defenses is dual-threat quarterback Quinton Flowers, who used his athletic ability to win USF’s starting job this fall.

“Especially with Flowers in the backfield, it’s almost like having three running backs in the backfield,” senior linebacker/defensive end Zack Bullock said. “You never know who is getting the ball, it’s even confusing in practice and I see it every day. I’m pretty excited to see how it works out in the game.”

Bullock is talking about USF’s read-option look, when Flowers takes a snap from the shotgun with a running back at each side.

“When we get in that situation, it’s fun because there are three of us back there,” Tice said. “You have Quinton Flowers, who can run and throw the ball as well. It’s hard for the defense.”

Flowers has looked dangerous when he tucks the ball and takes off, and he’s shown great vision when passing is the better option. All three backs are eager to contribute as pass-catchers in the new offense after Mack, Johnson and Tice combined for 335 receiving yards last season in USF’s former pro-style approach.

“You can show them that you’re a multiple back,” Johnson said.

Taggart is excited about the possibilities for USF’s backs, and the new offense in general, which features increased depth at every skill position.

“You can’t just defend 10 guys, you have to defend all 11 and be very disciplined, especially with some of the things we’re doing and especially when you’re going fast,” Taggart said. “That puts a lot of pressure on the defense and it’s so important for us just to execute.”

Bulls Bits

- The offense put on a show Friday with the unit clicking in both the run and pass game, which made Taggart a very happy man. “Today we had a great practice. It was really great to see our guys go out and execute today,” Taggart said. “It was by far one of our best execution (days) offensively and it had me fired up.”

- A big reason why the offense motored along down the field was because of the steady play of Flowers, who keeps progressing with increased snaps. “Now that he’s getting a majority of the reps, you’re seeing things are starting to be a little more crisp with him,” Taggart said. “He’s reacting quicker to things. Today was by far one of our best practices offensively and he had a lot to do with that.”

- Taggart said the staff will make a decision on the placekicker “probably this weekend.” Competing for the job has been redshirt sophomore Emilio Nadelman and senior Michael Hill. “We feel good about where we’re at there and I’m excited to see one of those guys go in there and kick that ball through the field goal posts," Taggart said.

- Taggart said Rodney Adams will be the Bulls’ primary kick returner. Taggart also likes what he’s seen from Tice and Chris Barr.

- Students are invited to participate in The Huddle 7 p.m. Friday at Corbett Stadium. Students and the entire football team get to interact and form a super-sized huddle while Taggart fires up the group about the season ahead. Food will be provided at the free event that will be held in the west end zone of Corbett Stadium prior to the men’s soccer team’s 8 p.m. season opener against Missouri State. Students with a valid USF I.D. are free to attend the game as well.

Quote of the Day

“It’s like wherever you put the ball, you’ve got guys that can do something with it. Whether you throw it to the receivers now, or you throw it to the tight end, or give it to the backs, or you let the quarterback run. You’ve got weapons everywhere and it’s something we haven’t had. That’s exciting to see.”

- Willie Taggart on USF’s plethora of playmakers on offense.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

- A big reason why the offense motored along down the field was because of the steady play of Flowers, who keeps progressing with increased snaps. “Now that he’s getting a majority of the reps, you’re seeing things are starting to be a little more crisp with him,†Taggart said. “He’s reacting quicker to things. Today was by far one of our best practices offensively and he had a lot to do with that.â€

That's encouraging. Can' wait to see them take the field in 8 days!!

GO BULLS!!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

The offense has been so terrible the last few years that if they were to rank in the 70's they would look like Oregon to us.

They should look improved if not we get a new coach.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,624
  • Days Won:  0

If they score more than 14 points in a game in at least half of their games it'll look like Oregon to us

• Topic Count:  2,323
  • Content Count:  21,266
  • Days Won:  10

Words are cheap, I want to see it on the field first.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I think Flowers is going to blossom (<-just worked out that way.. lol) and our offense is going to move the ball.  I'm ready for some football now.  Next Saturday a lot of  questions will be answered.  Good stuff though... Lets do this

#ALLIN #GOBULLS  :GoBulls:  :iconic_u_black:

I have a keg of the kool aid...  :icon_drink:

Words are cheap, I want to see it on the field first.

Gotta love how smazza rubs off on posts ;)

To add some value to this thread with a good take....If Flowers can deliver some strikes you can see how a two back option out of the shot gun could be lethal.

Assuming Flowers can throw at a 50-60% completion rate, can you imagine having to defend this, with Adams and Bronson split wide, Whitehead in the slot, Mack, Tice or DJ and Flowers in the back field?? I think that would be a nightmare for any defense we would face just from a pure athletic ability perspective.

2da49aab.jpg?_ga=1.252214537.1253199515.

Go here to check out how this can play out....

http://s1261.photobucket.com/user/slaphancock/media/ReadOptionUtahState/98493ebf.mp4.html

Some fun further reading about this look can be found here:

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2012/9/11/3318710/cals-two-back-read-option-a-play-analysis

Mods can we still not insert videos on our posts?

If so why not? Do we have access to an html tag where we can just insert raw html to embed players etc...

I think it would also be helpful to add a HOW TO section. I found the little help link but its a bit obsecure and doesn't actual have this info. It might be more useful to have a HOW TO in the main forum list. 

Edited by Bull-Hornz

Feel free to +1 the post above for providing you with more filler until next Saturday  :roflmao:

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I love these fluffy pieces. Results, until we see them it's all fluff.